Chapter Five

Aspen

(Ten minutes prior)

Dad pulls out my chair and I sit down to the table, smoothing out my dress. Thankfully Lexi can work miracles with hair, otherwise I might be wearing a baseball cap right now.  

Dad smiles as he slides into the chair across from me. “I took the liberty of ordering you the salmon before we got arrived. Still your favorite, I presume?”

I force myself to grin. “It is. Thank you.” A moment passes before I realize that I haven’t asked him about the company. Normally this routine we fall into comes easily, but with thoughts of Bastian swirling around inside my head I feel a bit out of sorts. “How’s work?”

Dad's eyes light up at the opportunity to discuss his favorite topic. “Fantastic. Brian convinced his father to make a substantial investment in the company. And with his father’s connections overseas, we’ll be able to expand into seventeen European markets by the end of the year.” He chuckles. “This wedding might be the best thing that’s ever happened to Spencer Pharmaceuticals.”

I just nod. Dad couldn’t be more transparent. He’s reminding me what’s at stake with this wedding. I’m willing to bet that it’s the only reason he’s even here. To make sure that I’m still on board after I discovered what they had planned for me. We both know I’d have gone through with the wedding no matter what if they’d got me home and had everything already set up, our friends and family all in attendance. But two days is enough time for me to think about what I’m about to do. Enough time to get cold feet.

I should tell him that I know what he’s up to. I should tell him about Bastian’s showing up here, that I’m going to spend the next two days in his arms while I sort through my feelings.

I should tell him he’s a monster for firing Bastian’s mother. Dad would probably fall out of his chair.

But what I actually say is, “That’s great.” I can’t help wondering if the words sound as hollow as they feel. God I’m such a coward.

Dad reaches over and pats my hand. “I’ve never been more proud of you sweetheart.”

I feel my face flush and I drop my head. I hate how good it makes me feel to hear those words from him. Even when I know it’s just manipulation.

“I come bearing gifts,” he announces.

I lift my head at that. Search his face for a hint as to what he’s up to. “What gifts?”

His grin grows wider. He takes out a dime, a nickel, and a quarter and spreads them across the table. “I believe you know how this works.”

I can’t help a goofy grin at the sight the coins. We haven’t played this game since I was little. I cover my face with my hands and peek at him through my fingers. “You can’t be serious.”

“Oh, but I am. Now I admit it’s been a while so remember you can have your gifts in any order. The quarter is obviously the biggest gift of the three, the dime the smallest.”

I lean over the table, feeling just like the little girl that would play this game with my father whenever he came home from a business trip. “Okay, I choose the dime first.”

Dad laughs. “You always were no fun.” He reaches into his pocket for a cell phone and places it onto the table.

I lift an eyebrow. “I already have a cell phone, Dad.”

He shakes his head. “Pick it up.”

I grab the phone, and see that there’s a video on pause. I tap the screen and the video begins to play. It’s Dad, looking much younger, holding me as a baby. I hear Mom’s laughter in the background, so I assume she’s the one holding the camcorder. “Tell your daughter something,” I hear Mom say. “Something for when she’s all grown up.” Dad goes red. “Gracious, no pressure.” He thinks for a moment, then looks directly into the camera. “I guess I’d just want you to know that I love you, and that I’m going to do my best to look out for you. You’re my favorite person in the whole world.” “More than me?” Mom laughs. Dad looks into the camera again, laughing too. “More than your mother, sweetheart.”