Chapter Three

Aspen

Even after four semesters of college the sound of the alarm clock startles me awake. I’ll never get used to that thing. On the other side of the room Lexi pulls herself upright, and stumbles toward the bathroom, scrunched-faced and angry. My hatred for waking up early is only matched by my roommate’s.

It isn’t until I reach to open the curtains that last night falls on me like a pile of bricks. Oh God. I need to figure out what I’m going to say to Brian, how I can possibly explain away my unexplainable behavior.

I won’t hurt him. A question pops into my head. Which him? Brian or Bastian?

“Your turn,” Lexi says stepping out of the bathroom. That simple direction gives me focus. I’m here to go to school, and I need to get ready for class. I’ll worry about guys after classes are over.

Good. I have a plan.

I hop to my feet and scoot into the bathroom.

***

I’m in the middle of a shower that feels like heaven when Lexi snatches back the curtain.

“Lexi? What the hell?” I throw my arms over my chest and cross my legs.

Her eyes are wild with excitement. “Get dressed right friggin’ now.”

“What? Why?”

“Just do it.”

I stop my shower early but because she won’t tell me what’s going on, I take my time getting dressed. Meanwhile, Lexi stands next to the door, her hands on her hip, tapping her right foot impatiently.

By the time I sling my book sack over my shoulder, she’s practically dragging me out the door. “What’s going on?” I ask her again. She doesn’t answer. A block of dread settles into my gut. Since when has Lexi been good at keeping a secret?

The girls we pass in the hall cover their mouths and giggle as we pass. It does nothing to ease my apprehension. As we down the stairs, it occurs to me. It’s so obvious I could kick myself. I pull my hand free of Lexi’s and she snaps her head around.

“It’s him, isn’t it? He’s here.”

Lexi’s grin widens. “Oh you’re gonna wanna see this. That I can promise you.”

I gulp and nod to her. A part of me truly does.

I expect him to be in the foyer. He’s not. Lexi leads me straight out the front door, where a crowd has gathered next to the Greek Life Fountain.  

The strum of a guitar sends a jolt down my spine, freezing me in place, my eyes darting around until I see him in a chair in front of the fountain. He’s sitting there in and tank top and jeans, his dark hair pulled back in a ponytail, and he’s playing his guitar. His voice is so much deeper, so much more soulful than I remember.

And he’s got dozens of cooing sorority girls surrounding him.

Lexi wraps her arm around my waist and pulls me next to her. I’m in too much of a daze to even resist. With her other arm she waves to him, getting his attention. And once we get his attention, we get everyone else’s too.

I could literally die. Like right now. Here one these steps. Bastian and I hold each other’s gaze; my pulse thunders in my ears and my head starts to feel light, like I might pass out. Everything I’ve been running from is staring me right in the face and I’m not sure what exactly I should do right now. So…

I run.

Like full-on sprint. The guitar starts up again, a melody that catches me so completely off guard that I almost trip and fall on my face. It’s the melody of that night, the slow song that hummed on the radio while he and I shared my bed. A moment so precious…

The Promise (New Adult)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें