Chapter 4

It was probably 3:00 AM. The sky was filled with bright stars that made every little detail light up. The moon was making Maya's bedroom look enchanted, making each of her paintings look magical and more fragile than they actually were. Maya couldn't sleep, her brain was in full thinking mode, making her dizzy. As she was laying in bed looking at the roof she started to relive what had happened when she got home.

8 hours ago.

Maya was still sitting down with her back glued to the door. She was still trying to believe what she had done. That kiss... there were no words to describe what she had felt. The kiss only lasted 2 seconds, but it felt like an eternity, how her lips had slightly touched his cheek, how she had kept them there for those 2 seconds. Maya thought that the reason for it was that it wasn't just a normal kiss, it was more than that. It was a promise. It was truth, prove that what Maya felt was real, that her feelings for Josh were not just a crush like everyone called it. It had only happened 10 minutes ago and she could still taste his skin, Josh had smelled like coffee and sweet mint, his perfume was still fresh on her, it smelled like warm vanilla notes, bittersweet grapefruit and sparkling pink pepper. Her phone started to buzz in her back pocket bringing her back to reality.

Riley: Peaches!! I haven't heard from you since you left from Topanga's! Are u okay? Has the person u were supposed to meet kidnapped u? Answer, please!

Maya laughed to herself as she was reading her best friend's text, and then she said she was the least dramatic person to exist. But that's what Maya loved about Riley, it had always been like that. Maya brought herself together and decided to take the elevator to go upstairs to her house. She took the keys out and opened the door, as she was walking in and leaving her jacket at the door, she yelled "Hey guys!". After a few seconds of complete and utterly silence had gone by and no one answered, Maya started to wonder where her mom and Shawn where. She had been told that they would be here. To kill time until they got there Maya took out her phone and decided to text Riley back.

Maya: Calm down Miss. Least dramatic person. I'm fine, I just got home and no I haven't been kidnapped.

Riley: Well what do u expect? U leave all mysteriously without saying anything, what I am supposed to do?

Before Maya could reply the door to her home opened and Shawn came in followed by her mom. Shawn looked as if the world had come crashing down on him and her mom... Maya couldn't quite understand what her mom was feeling, how she was walking looking down, never making eye contact with her. How her lips were curved to the right like she did when she was worried, her eyes looked like the whole Atlantic sea had been dropped from them, and were full of anger. She couldn't quite describe if her mom was furious, tense, afraid, worried or just simply heartbroken. Before she started asking questions, quickly she took her phone out and texted Riley so she wouldn't worry.

Maya: I appreciate you worrying okay? Look my mom and Shawn just got here and it looks like bad news are about to come... Hope is for sucker's right? Why would I thought that could change...? Don't worry please? Talk to you later. Love u 😘

After finishing texting Riley, Maya put her phone away and looked at her mom, her heart was breaking into tiny little pieces as she was looking at her. Bad memories from when her mom would cry herself to sleep every night after her father left were coming back to her... and she felt herself stop breathing. Shawn whispering her name... "Maya", made her go back to reality.

"W-Wha-What's go-oi-ing on?" her voice cracking trying to ask the question taunting her mind.

"Shawn... could you please?" asked Katy without leaving her gaze from the floor. After a quick node from Shawn her mom disappeared into her bedroom. The moment she tried to follow her she was quickly stopped by Shawn.