Chapter 1

Have you ever really stopped to think about how much we need to learn how to love ourselves? Maya Hart has always been proud of who she is, proud of being the rule breaker, proud of remaining true to herself, and always doing and saying what she thought was right.

     But, in that moment, she wasn't sure any more of who she was. Without even noticing, slowly she had become another version of herself, one particularly similar to Riley, her best friend. She thought it had been like destiny, that it had been art and her art teacher that had revealed her how much she had lost her voice, what made her Maya. Maya had really thought that Riley and her family had influenced her in a good way, that they had helped her put her rebellious side in check. After all, she was getting good grades, and that was supposed to be a good thing. But, soon she realized that Riley and Mr. Jackson were right, she was losing her voice, she was becoming someone else, and as much as she would have loved to be able to be that person and be proud of her, it just wasn't the true maya, it wasn't her voice.

    That's how she decided that it was time to put the whole triangle drama away and focus on finding her voice and herself again. It costed her, she had to go find the darkest parts of herself and try to go back to the point where she became the rebellious Maya. She was afraid, she knew how much risk it was going back to her darkest moments, afraid that she would lose all the good things that she learned from Riley's family, the lessons that Cory had put so much effort on to teaching them. "People change people", hope, love, friendship, family. Those things had helped Maya scape her dark place, become a better person, one deserving of love, one worth enough for people to stay with her and don't leave. She could still be true to her voice, the rebellious, one and keep those lessons. All those things together is what made Maya who she is, and she was proud of that person.

    The triangle... Maya would have never thought that the triangle could have been solved that way, and that it would have been Josh who had showed her what had always been on her heart. She didn't like Lucas like that, she was only trying to protect Riley, which have been the one constant that had always been on her life. Riley. It took Maya a few moments to come to the realization that all she had felt for Lucas since Texas had only been a consequence of her becoming Riley. But Maya was sure of something, she loved Lucas and she would always love him. He along with Farkle had showed her that she deserved to be loved from someone else than Riley, her family and her mom and now Shawn, Zay and Isadora. She just didn't like him in a romantic way, like Riley truly did. She was at peace with the triangle, because it had finally ended, with everyone happy.

    Maya was sitting in the bay window, looking out, observing the sky. She was trying to imitate the colors of it. That afternoon, it looked beautiful, magical. Maya wasn't succeeding. She thought it was impossible to recreate something as unique as the sky at that instant.

"What are you doing?" Riley said from the door of her room. Maya hadn't even realized Riley had entered the room. She loved the silence, the quiet, she didn't find it often, but when she did she would lose herself on it, she would separate herself from the rest of the world.

"I was just painting. Because of all the triangle drama, I haven't really had time to do it, or maybe I just didn't know what to paint." Maya stopped and looked at the sky. "But as I was waiting for you to finish with Auggie, I was looking at the sky and thought that it looked lovely, in a delicate way, like it could go dark in any second. I just wanted to try to capture it. Try being key word." Maya suspired as she finished answering Riley's question.

"You can't capture the wild." said Riley while sitting besides Maya. "You should know that."

"I do... How'd it go with Auggie?" asked Maya.

"It went. He still thinks he did nothing wrong. I think I'll just have to accept it." said Riley.

"Riley Matthews giving up? That's a first." wondered Maya.

"Yeah, I don't know. I just realized that it doesn't do good to dwell in the past." said Riley while looking at the sky. "You were right."

"I know honey. I'm right about a lot of things, I'm gonna need you to be more specific." said Maya with a sarcastic tone.

"About the sky, peaches. It does look lovely." said Riley while laughing. "I love the rebellious Maya. I missed her."

"I did too, and this Maya has to go back home. It's mom and Shawn't first night in the house together since the honeymoon." said Maya with glowing eyes. "We're going to cook mom's specialty and then watch a movie!"

"I love seeing you this happy, peaches. It sounds like you're going to have a great night." said Riley while standing up to hug Maya.

"Yeah, it does. Let's hope it is a night we will remember forever." hoped Maya while hugging Riley. "See you tomorrow, which by the way will be an amazing day too, if everything goes well..."

"Oooh yeah, I almost forgot. Josh will be here tomorrow to babysit Auggie." said Riley with her usual tone of positivity.

"Yeah, it's the first time we see each other since the whole "someday" thingy." said Maya with a happy face. "Well, I'm leaving. I am already late, see you tomorrow."

"Bye, peaches! I love you! Be careful on the way home." said Riley while waving goodbye.

"Aren't I always careful? Love you too sweetheart!!" said Maya while disappearing into the street.