Fourteen

Your brother what's you back

Those words rung in my head as I felt my whole body grow colder. I guilty pain ran through my heart. I had forgot about my brother's struggle resurrecting our fathers empire. I felt a light tapping on my shoulder that knocked me out of my trance. I looked back at Ming who had a worried look on her face, I sighed and turned back to Choi who had been waiting for me to calm down.

"So what is going to happen, what about Mengyao's birthday?"
I asked, remembering that Mengyao's birthday party was happening tomorrow night.

"He has decided to postpone it for a later time."
Choi replied with his eye on his soldiers who were leaving to patorl the palace. I paused and continued to look at him.

"What is he planning to do about my brother?"
I asked finally, he turned back to me with a worried glance.

"He wants to talk to you about that."
I felt my body itch at the thought of my brother and Mengyao fighting over something so silly, I nodded to Choi and I began to walked to Mengyao's chambers.

***
The guards standing in front of Mengyao's chambers wore a dark expressions on their faces. Though the palace halls were dark, the moon's light exposed their solemn faces. I breathed deeply before opening the doors to his room. There a small light by his bed side as he sat with his legs crossed and his gaze, out the window, there was no sign of Baozhai, suggestion she wasn't allowed in here. I approached his bed slowly wondering if he knew I was in here, he suddenly turned his head in my direction.

"You finally show up."
He mumbled quitely, his voice was scratchy and strained. I bit my lip and opened my mouth to speak.

"About Jianyu-"
I began but was cut off by the wave of Mengyao's hand.

"I don't feel like hearing it, your brother wants to rage war against me, because he believes I am refusing to contact him."
Mengyao's eyes cut into me like a knife, I shivered. This was the first time I had ever seen him so angry or act like an Emperor should, Mengyao continued.

"Never once did you ask me if you could contact him, or even go home, why is that?"
He asked, as he cocked his head slightly, the Mengyao that I knew had disappeared and a very powerful Emperor had replaced him.

"I-it is uncommon for a concubine to contact their family."
I stuttered surprised at myself for fearing a small child. Mengyao scoffed at my words and grinned slightly.

"You were a spoiled brat when you came here, all of a sudden you want to talk about a Concubine's do's and don't."
I felt my anger bubble at his words, he was acting different and talking to me like a stranger, didn't he like me? I clenched my fist and glared at him.

"Then I will go talk to him myself."
I spat at him in rage, his head turned to me quickly as he quickly stood up.

"No you can't go back he gave you to me your mine!"
He yelled suddenly, his hands clenched and his bloodshot eyes locked onto me. I stared at him I'm silence. I looked down feeling sorry for my attitude and pushing him over the edge.

"I belong to know one, but a deal is a deal. I will only talk to him, I won't stay with him."
I mumbled softly, Mengyao stood there and fell back onto the bed carelessly.

"Do what you want."

***
I opened Mengyao's chamber door and stood outside it. There guards had gone only to be replaced by Choi who stood in front of the door, his back to the wall. His long hair hung over his eyes, and he stood with his arms crossed.

"I heard yelling and sent them away."
He finally said, his deep voice ringing through the small hallway. I kept silent and only looked at him.

"I'm going home."
I finally managed to say, Choi kept silent and only managed a grunt in response.

"The Emperor allowed that?"
He finally asked, there was a bit of scorn in his voice. I shook my head and began to walk down the hallway.

"I'm only going to talk to him, my brother already sold me to this Empire, I can no longer go back home."