Chapter Six-Ghosts

Start from the beginning

He hurried out of the car, white t-shirt against tanned limbs-my heart swelled on seeing him but I had to hide it.

Matt was right there; coming for me, in the flesh.

"Excuse me...?" he breathed, eyes wide and shocked...like he was staring at a ghost. Something swelled in my heart just then on hearing his voice. It enveloped me with such warmth that tears sprang to my eyes. I never thought...I would hear his voice again. Cautiously he reached out to touch my shoulder.

"Please...don't hurt me..." I whimpered softly so Justin would think I was doing what he wanted. Inside my heart was heavy-I needed a plan. Obviously I couldn't go through with killing anyone-even if it wasn't Matt. I just had to make Justin think I did.

"Shh...you're okay...I'm so sorry..." he whispered, eyes narrowed in confusion....I released a sniffle, and he drew closer.

"My name's Matt. Are you hurt in any way? I'd help in any way I can..." Of course your name is Matt, I thought.

"Matt. Of course you can help." I said stonily; he had three seconds to flinch at my cold tone of voice, before suddenly I whipped around and gave him the biggest shock of his life. A gasp left his lips as I clutched my fingers around his throat. He let out a wheeze and tried to pull my hands away but of course I was unnaturally strong.

"Baby-did you miss me?" I whispered in his ear and he froze deadly beneath me-paralyzed-with something more than simple shock-primal fear. I was now a predator and he my prey. My eyes locked onto the bushes behind us as I gripped his neck tight. Bringing my lips dangerously close to his ear I whispered:

"Everything will be explained. Meet me on 47th street 5th avenue at 6 PM tomorrow night."

That was when I sunk my lips into his.

Peyton's P.O.V

There was a visor-like grip wrapped around my waist. I froze, shivers sprinting up my spine. I grew instinctively afraid and stopped breathing, feeling a panic attack creep up my lungs. Instantly, I started squirming, clutching at the thing gripping me so tightly; heavy pants left my lips as I started kicking.

"Shh, shh-Peyton what's wrong?" came a groggy voice from behind me, that was instantly familiar. I froze, relief washing over me. I closed my eyes on impact, becoming still in his arms. He smelled like warm, dark coffee. It was just Raphael-Raphael and I had slept beside each other last night, and his arm was wrapped around my waist.

Oh right.

"Peyton; Tell me-what's the matter?" he asked again, voice gaining clarity. My God, his voice was attractive in the morning-

"Nothing! I just...thought um..." I squeaked out, as he loosened his grip from around my waist. I was hoping he would find my antics amusing, but the look on Raphael's face was completely serious. He gazed at me intensely, with those swirling green orbs.

"You thought what?" he muttered, searching my face. I looked away-instantly humiliated.

"It's nothing Raphael; you don't have to worry about it really." I breathed, feeling tears prick my eyelids. The sun had just begun to rise, inviting a soft violet haze into the mouth of the cave. In the corner opposite us, Faye lay snuggled into a ball. She looked so pretty as she slept, brown curls fanned around her head.

Raphael gripped my wrist suddenly, forcing me to look at him.

"Tell me what I did wrong, Peyton, I feel like I hurt you somehow." He breathed, eyebrows scrunching up into confusion. I sighed, wishing he would just drop it. I didn't want him to think I was afraid of him-I mean, I could never be afraid of Raphael; but it didn't help that he-looked so much like... Brustarios. I shuddered at the thought of him.