Overcoming Self-Doubt

Almost everyone  worries about the judgement of others during at least some point in their lives. It can about your new haircut, clothes, or old-fashioned flip-phone (Those still exist? Nah, just kidding. I used one up until last year.)

Either way, when you write, or at least, I know that when I write, I do sometimes have doubts about what I'm writing, or whether or not people will like it. It would be ridiculous to say that no writer has had the same problem before.

If you do find yourself in this situation, just remember:

1) You can't please everyone

I'm serious. You can't please everyone. No matter what you write, there are going to be people who don't like it, sometimes for no reason other than the fact that they just don't like the genre you're writing in.

For example, some people might like your writing because it's 'simple'

Some people might not like your writing because it's 'too simple'

Yeah, I want my work to be admired. I want it to be liked. But let's face it. One bad comment on one of your stories can ruin five good ones, and my mood. How many of you would focus on the one bad comment, and how many on the five good ones?

Focus on the good ones. It's better for your writing, and your sanity.

2) You're writing because it's fun

Don't write because you want it to turn out well. That is to say, don't write just for the sake of having written something, even if it's a piece of work you want to be admired by millions.

More importantly, don't not write because you're afraid of people who may be reading and judging it.

Is writing any fun if you're worried about what people might think of your work when you're tapping out words on your keyboard?

Believe me. Most of the time, people are more worried about themselves than they will be about you. A lot of us don't realize that so many people are more focused on their own flaws or their own lives to worry about whether or not you put a period at the end of your sentence.

3) You're going to make mistakes.

They say that the first million words of what you first start out with as a writer are going to be crap. Very few, if any, are amazing writers when they first start out. When I did, I was in the third grade, and I have to say it's pretty embarrassing looking back at what I used to write.

Everybody makes mistakes. Just remember that the next time someone tries to judge what you write. They probably weren't, or still are not so perfect in their own writing.

Either way, you are not the first person to get rejected, or shot down. You're never too young to start writing. No story is perfect, but those imperfections are what differentiate us as authors. Practice is what makes us good authors. Beginniner's luck can only take you so far.

Sometimes family and friends may even tell you that they don't think you write well. Remember that you're the one who decides whether or not you should keep writing. You're ultimately the one who decides what changes you should make to improve your own story.

Confidence will take you new places.