Chapter 4

Okay! Chapter 4! I know this takes forever but midterms suck and i can't waste all my time on here :D

Chapter 4

Annabeth

Annabeth watched in horror as Leo crashed onto the tiled floor.

"Leo!" She heard Piper scream. What had just happened? She bent down and felt Leo's forehead. It was ice cold.

Piper felt his wrist and said, "His pulse is slow. He needs help now!" Annabeth stood up and spun around, calling for someone-anyone-to come and help. Most of the dining hall was standing in shock and beginning to gather around the grim scene, but Annabeth saw some of the Apllo Healers get up from their seats to help. They tried to maneuver their way through the crowd, but it was hard to manage getting through all those people. Annabeth knealt back down next to Piper. Jason looked up, his face full of concern and fear for his friend.

"What's taking so long?" he sounded more scared than mad though. Annabeth nodded towards the Healers that had finally broken through the sea of kids. They sprinted the rest of the way and quickly went to work.

"41 beats a minute," one said.

"Temperature at 95.4 degrees. We need to get him to the infirmiry now. His body temperature is dangerously low and he may get hypothermia," another added. Annabeth bent down to help Jason get Leo down to the infirmiry, but before she could, she felt an itense burning sensation on her right shoulder. She grabbed it in pain and held in the scream she wanted to stifle. Then a voice rang through her head.

"I am awakening and this alone is the beginning. You may have the 'Mark' my dear, but you will be no match for me, daughter of Athena!"

Mark? Annabeth wondered. What does she mean by-

"Annabeth, you okay?" Jason broke through her thought. Before she could even decide on how to answer that question, one of the bigger, stonger Healers named Andrew offered to get Leo down to the inifirmiry. Piper, Jason, and Annabeth all followed him to the lowest deck where the infirmiry was located. No one was allowed in yet excpet for the Healers. The three of them sat in metal chairs that were set up outisde the door. Piper was tugging at her braids and Jason was staring at the floor. Annabeth tapped her foot nervously. She kept going over what happened with Piper and Jason, just to be sure they didn't miss anything, but ther conclusions were all the same. One minute, Leo was fine and then it was like something just washed over him. The burning sensation on Annabeth's shoulder picked up again and she winced in pain. She'd forgotten about it all together until now. She carefully lifted up the sleeve of her shirt. Annabeth heard Piper gasp.

"Annabeth," she said breathlessly, "your arm."

"What, what happened?" Annabeth looked down her shoulder and bit her bottom lip at the sight of the image on her skin. No, on wasn't exactly the right word, she thought. The wound was shaped like an owl, sorrounded by the Greek omega sign. It was almost like the tattoo Jason had, except this one looked like someone took steel and branded her. Annabeth ran her fingers over the strange mark. It didn't hurt anymore, but she could still feel the grooves of the design.

"Annabeth, what happened?" Jason said wide-eyed.

"I-I don't know I swear. It-I" but she had no way of explaining this. There was a moment of silence as the infirniry door opened. Jason stood up and a tall, blonde boy came out of the room. Annabeth saw him around camp sometimes, but couldn't place his name.

"Well?" Piper asked impatiently, "Is he going to be okay."

The blond boy's face looked grim. "He's finally awake. We can't figure out exactly what happened to him. I've treated all kinds of injuries, but I've never seen anything like this, were just not sure what to do next." Annabeth looked at Jason, who's face was full with sadness and it was the same with Piper. She'd never felt this hopeless since Percy-

"Oh gods!" Annabeth cried.

"What is it Annabeth?" Piper said, "What's wrong?" Annabeth turned and as she ran down the hall with Jason and Piper calling after her, all she could think was: How could I forget?

When she reached her room, Annabeth closed the door behind her and locked it.

How could I forget? How could I forget about him! Annabeth thought. From the minute she got on this ship, she couldn't stop thinking about him and now all of a sudden it's like he barely existed. Annabeth felt all the emotions rushing back to her as she remembered more and more how much she wanted to see Percy. The mark on her arm burned more and more as she paced back and forth to figure out how she could have possibly forgotten about Percy. Gods she missed him. She just wanted to hug him and never let go. To look into those sea-green eyes and kiss him. Soon the burning on her arm became unbareable and Annabeth caught hold of the bedpost before passing out.

Annabeth dreamed she was in Rome. The white buildings soaring above the sky, gleaming white. The dirt path stretched out far in front of her, and on it wasa woman with distinct gray eyes and long flowing hair.

"Mom?" Annabeth squeaked out.

"Yes, darling. My you look so beautiful," Athena said, smiling.

"Why are you here? Why am I here?" Annabeth asked.

Athena laughed, "Curiosity was always one of your traits my dear. I have come to tell you that you have't much time left."

"Much time left? What do you mean? For what?" Annabeth was very confused.

"Patience my dear. You saw what happened to your friend today-"

"Leo," Annabeth whispered.

"Yes, she is growing stronger and the more you wait the more powerful she gets. When she tried to come after you, I did the only thing I knew to do to protect you: Give you the 'Mark'." Annabeth pulled up her sleeve and glanced at the burn mark on her shoulder.

"You did this?" She questioned.

"Yes," Athena began, "It is the Mark of Athena. Only so often to I bestow this blessing to the wisest of my children. It shall protect you in times of great danger and give you great power when you most need it."

"So that's what Ga-she was talking about when she first came to me. It's the Mark."

"Yes my child, and I am afraid I must leave you now. Your quest is waiting, Annabeth," Athena's voice was fading inot the darkness now.

"Wait, Quest? Mom? Where-" But the goddess was no where to be found.

Annabeth woke up and looked to see what time it was.

"Three o'clock?!" She shouted louder than she meant to. "i've been asleep for 5 hours?" Suddenly she felt the ship lurch forward. Annabeth ran out her door and to the top of the main deck. They were descending towards the ground. She walked down the spiral staircase that connected the main deck to the control room and saw Jason, Piper, and Leo all sitting in some sort of wheeled chairs that looked like they belonged at a computer desk.

"Morning! Or afternoon, I guess," Leo smiled up at her. He looked better, but still a bit pale and tired.

"Leo, your-"

"Okay? Yep those Apollo kids really know what there doing!"  He said.

"We're almost on the shores of Camp Jupiter," Piper said excitedly.

"Yep will be there in about five, four, three, two..." Leo counted down. Suddenly there was a giant thump! that rocked the whole boat. "We're here," Leo said sheepishly. All four of them walked together to the front entrance of the boat.

"You ready?" Jason asked Annabeth.

She smiled and replied, "You bet!" as the doors slowly opened and sunlight poured into the ship.

This is it, Annabeth thought. All she could think about was Percy as she took her first steps of the golden-sand beach.

"Welcome to Camp Jupiter," an all to familiar voice said, "I've missed you Wise Girl."