Prologue

"Momma," eight year old Arlina called out as she ran into the house stopping momentarily to take out the contact lenses before she continued on to the kitchen.

"I won the spelling bee," Arlina shouted running into the kitchen only to skid to a stop as her unusual silver eyes widened in horror at the sight before her.

Her mom, a beautiful woman with pretty blue eyes and black midnight hair was clad only in her bra and panties leaning over a man completely naked.

Arlina froze where she stood as she trembled and stammered out, "Momma, what are you...?"

Her voice trailed off when her mother turned to her and Arlina couldn't help the cry that came to her throat as she saw her mother. Her mom's eyes were black as coal and there was blood around her mouth, and as she opened her mouth to say her name, Arlina could see two sharp teeth.

"Arlina, my sweet,' her mom said to her as a smile crossing her face and before Arlina could blink, her mother was standing in front of her blood running down her chin.

Arlina's eyes did not even blink, but widened even more as she stared at her mother.

"Momma," she whispered as her mom ran a hand down her face.

"I hoped that you would never see me in this way, but it could not be helped today," her mother said.  "I was so hungry and I couldn't wait until tonight."

Arlina watched her mother's eyes narrowed as she looked at her and her mother whispered, "I can smell the blood running through you and it is so sweet. It is making my own blood hum with anticipation."

Her mother's mouth opened wide revealing her sharp teeth and Arlina was frozen to the spot as her mother said, "Your blood will make me stronger than any other vampire."

"Vam...pire," Arlina whispered her silver eyes swallowing her small face.

Her mother nodded her head as she ran a pale hand down her cheek, "Remember I told you that there were monsters that haunted the night?"

Arlina swallowed as she nodded her head scared and unable to move staring at her mother.

"I am one of them," her mother stated before leaning down her sharp teeth pronounced.

Suddenly there was a harsh noise, "She is your daughter, Serena!"

Arlina watched as her mother's head jerked back looking at her with narrowed black eyes before she snapped her head to look at their intruder.

"My...daughter?" She stammered as if in a trance.

Arlina didn't see the man nod his head as he started toward them. "Yes, your daughter, the one you swore to protect no matter what."

Serena closed her eyes breathing deeply still able to smell that intoxicating scent before her eyes flashed open and she glanced down into the terrified silver eyes of her little girl. Serena saw how wide her eyes were and she sunk to her knees in front of her conscious of the blood on her, and of the dead man lying across their kitchen table.

"Oh, my baby girl," Serena moaned covering her face with her hands. She had planned on telling her daughter about who she had been and the monster she became, but not like this. Arlina caught her doing what she promised herself her daughter would never see without being prepared.

"Serena," the man said, and Serena's head snapped up as her hands fell to her side touching the floor.

"You found us," she said on a fast breath.

The man nodded his head as he reached them placing himself in front of Arlina. "The order has been looking for a long time."

"Can you protect her?" Serena asked feeling the monster in her beginning to crave the intoxicating strong blood from this man.