Chapter Twenty One - The Family Picnic

***

"Listen, I can't talk right now. Fuck you, Ben." I seethed into the phone, glancing over my shoulder and wincing as Aaron's shadow reached for me subconsciously. "You meet him and that's it, nobody messes with a family picnic, got it." I warned. Having Ben and Jo make contact was vital, I couldn't help with the police and criminal aspect of things— so the duo would simply have to handle it on their own. An introduction was all they would be getting from me. Ben was the asshole cop who pissed off criminals for a living, so convincing or rather blackmailing Jo into helping us was right up his ally. "I'm done talking about this, you're a cop and he's an ex-con be creative. Just get it done, Ben. I've told my family not to mention the picnic to Eli, so don't let it slip that you're dropping by. I don't want Lorraine's presence to mess with his mind anymore than it has." Commenting his vague agreement, he ended the call on the singular note that we were actually cooperating with each other on something.

Hanging up, I stalled by the door for several moments— Making sure that Aaron wouldn't wake sensing my absence. Smiling when he buried his face in my pillow, I listened to the sweet sounds of content that chased away the silence. Stepping out of our room, I carefully pulled the door ajar before shuffling down the hallway, towards the twins room.  Having read another heartbreaking chapter of Maddison's diary, I tucked the small book back under the extensive collection of onesies, pushing the draw closed with a soft thud. Returning to our bed, I kissed the smooth ridges of Aaron's muscular back. Moaning into my pillow, he rolled onto his side— subconsciously extending his arm in silent request for me to move closer. Sliding into the warmth of his side, I kissed his bare chest.

Drawing me closer he pressed his lips to my hairline, his steady breaths informing me that he'd fallen back asleep. There was something else in the air, I felt too uneasy to manage sleep and I found myself clinging to Aaron as though he were about to slip away. My heart was racing with panic and the worst thing was, I had no fucking idea why— like waking across the outer skirting of a skyline, wearing a blindfold. Watching the sun's soft morning glow gradually flood into the room, I brushed my fingers through Aaron's hair in a failed attempt to distract my mind. Groaning, he threw his free arm over the curve of my waist— pulling me flush against his warm body. Chuckling I tilted my head back to peek up at him, the corner of his mouth lifted into an amused smile.

Kissing my forehead, he slowly looked down at me. "Good morning, sweetheart." Inwardly moaning at that delicious morning rasp of his, that had me instantly hot and bothered, I threw my leg over his. Placing a sweet kiss over my lips he shifted to lay on his back, urging me onto his chest he brushed the backs of his fingers down my side— his favourite method of expressing affection— tracing my form with each caress, as though committing my body to memory.

"Good morning." I replied with a sigh, catching myself before I let my concerns ruin the moment. "If I wasn't so sure that Blake would give me the cold shoulder for the rest of eternity, for bailing on the picnic, I'd stay like this all day." His powerful chest shook with laughter tempting me to kiss the area.

"I mean, he already hates me...I don't mind taking the fall. Anything to lay in bed all day with my beautiful wife." He replied just as smoothly as I'd expected. Letting out a laugh, I lifted off his chest enough to look up at his sexy smirk.

"That's surprisingly romantic for your tastes, Mr Arrogant." Raising an eyebrow, I mocked him with another soft laugh. "Are you trying to get me naked?" I accused, reminding him of all the games we used to play to force one another to give into this untameable attraction between us. Flipping us in one swift manoeuvre, he pinned me to the mattress under his impressive build. Biting back a scream, I fought to suppress another laugh. Pushing my thighs apart, he squeezed my arse, over the thin satin material I wore, in his large palm— dragging his talented fingers up my thighs, he raised the slip teasingly gradually. Trailing a path of heated kisses along my chest, he sucked on his favourite patch of skin. Moaning, I pushed my head deeper into the pillow.