*Chapter Five*

Tyler

"How much longer do you have until you have to get up, sweetie?" I pull Anna as close as I can, wanting to relish this fleeting moment as long as possible.

"Maybe twenty more minutes? This is the last day of studying. Then only the test tomorrow morning, and I'm done." She gives me a huge smile which I can only reciprocate.

"You deserve this so much. You've been working your butt off for the last three years to get this degree, all the while dealing with me and my situation too."

"Yeah, dealing with you is never easy. It has certainly made getting my degree a lot harder." She smirks at me, and I'm on top of her in no time, pinning her down with my weight.

"What exactly do you mean, Anna?" I let my nose slowly glide down the side of her face and further down her throat. I know her eyes are closed by now, because she always reacts this way. I don't think there has ever been anyone in my life I've cared enough about to get to this point of intimacy and familiarity. Anna never fails to keep my interest, and it isn't even anything she does, it's just who she is. She's my girl, which is exactly the reason that I know she is keeping something from me.

"You know exactly what I mean, Tyler." She's laughing now, and I'm just staring at her, enjoying these simple moments that have become so rare. "Get off me now, you're heavy." She keeps laughing though, so I know she doesn't really mind it.

"Only if you do me a favor."

"No way. I'm not falling for that again. The last time I agreed to that, you put me in a freaking race car next to you and almost killed us both." Anna has stopped laughing now, but I can still see the humor sparkling in her eyes.

"I did no such thing. I wasn't even driving that fast." I give her a shocked expression, knowing she can see right through me too. She knows me just as well as I know her, often times I don't even have to say a word for her to know what's going on. That's exactly the reason I've been so nervous about keeping secrets around her. I know that the only reason I haven't gotten caught is because she's been so busy with studying and distracted by her finals.

"Sure you weren't, silly." She looks at me, studying my face. "Everything ok, Tyler?" There she is, seeing right through me.

"What? Yes, sure. I was just thinking the same about you though." We're both looking at each other, and I can see in her face that she's definitely hiding something. Her eyebrows are pulled together slightly, making her eyelids close just a little bit, while she's pressing her lips tightly together. I can't believe she's really hiding something from me. I guess until this moment I was still hoping that Anna's sister Jo and I were wrong.

Jo called me last week, asking if everything was ok with Anna because she had been acting weird. I agreed with her, but at that point I thought it was all just because of the school stress and us not being able to spend as much time together. Once Jo put that thought about something else being wrong in my mind though, I started seeing it too.

"About me? What about me?" Anna is trying to smooth out her expression now, trying to hide her emotions from me. It makes me feel all sorts of things, none of them good though.

"Of course you. Are you ok? You know you can talk to me about anything, right? Remember, us against the rest of the world?" I give her a pleading look, knowing full well I'm not playing fair, but I don't care at this point.

The inner fight she's having plays out right in front of my eyes. It seems like defeat is finally settling on her face, but I don't feel an ounce of triumph. What if I should have left it alone? What if this is actually something really bad? I don't think I've really thought this through.

"Tyler, there's something I need to --"

Knock, knock. The loud banging on the door breaks our moment, and I can hear my manager mumbling on the other side of the door. It's hard to hear, but something about an emergency. Damn it.

I roll off Anna in frustration, letting out a low growl.

"I'll better get ready now. Go see what Bill wants, before he breaks down the door. I'll see you later, ok?" She gives me a quick kiss on the cheek and walks to the bathroom.

I jump out of bed, ready to rip off Bill's head.

*****

Just when you think you get somewhere. Ugh. Thanks Bill. 🙊

How are we feeling after this chapter?

Thanks so much for reading. ❤❤❤