Prologue

Six months earlier...

Control your breathing, Skylar.

You can do this.

Just wait.

Shocked patients and staff members jump to the side of the hallways as I'm pushed passed them in a wheelchair, trying to stay calm instead of becoming the mad monster I know I'm capable of becoming.

My head falls onto the back of the chair, as if all muscles in my neck lost their power. The fluorescent lights flicker as they pass my eyes, giving the hallways dim light, but still enough to see what lies at the end of the long, boring hallways.

Pain burst throughout my body, starting from the centre of my stomach and up to the rest of my body, as if poison was spreading through my veins.

By far it was the most painful experience of my entire life; nothing has ever been this painful before. However, I know that it will all be worth it in the end.

"Just breath, Miss Monroe, not long now." The nurse that pushes my wheelchair says to me, finally turning into an empty room with a blue bed placed in the centre of one wall.

My chair comes to a holt beside the blue bed, before I'm lifted onto the mattress and positioned the correct way.

My breathing suddenly becomes much heavier, getting harder to do as we come closer to the time.

"Miss Monroe, I need you to push on the count of three. Are you ready?" A male doctor has entered the room and is now stood at the end of my bed, pulling a pair of rubber gloves onto his hands.

Unable to properly answer, an uncontrollable shriek leaves my mouth, caused by the pain that attacks my body.

"One... two... three!" Demands the male doctor, now clear that he is my midwife.

The same female nurse that brought me to the room stands beside my bed, holding my hand as she says, "Push, Miss Monroe. Breath. Push. Breath."

With all the might I can gather I push the little figure through my body, squeezing the nurses hand as if it would make the process both easier and less painful.

After repeating this same process several times, I have finally brought the life that I helped create into this world. An amazing feeling crosses over me; knowing that this little human being is mine.

The little alien creature lays peacefully in the arms of the male doctor, before being carried over to my trembling body.

My baby's eyes are glued shut, as his small chest rises and drops in rhythm. His fragile red skin slowly transitioning to a similar skin tone to mine. Amazed by his beauty, my thumb traces along the small black hairs already collecting on his delicate head.

After a hard nine months of carrying this person inside of me, I finally get to hold my little baby in my arms.

"Do you know what you might call him yet?" Politely asks the nurse who helped me through the pain. I now realise that her name is Nurse Gumroy.

After staring at my baby's small facial features for no short of a minute, I decide on the perfect name for my little man.

"Colton. His name will be Colton."