Chapter 1

Tears built up in my eyes as my dad went of to war. It scared me to think he would never come home. My mom is already gone and the only thing she left me is a silver starfish necklace. My hip length brown hair blowed behind me as my dress swayed in the wind. For all I know 1864 will be the worst year of my life. The wagon got farther and farther away until it was as small as an ant. Who am I you may ask? My name is Ariel Jenkins and I just turned 13. People thought I had nothing to worry about knowing I'm rich but with no mom and maybe no father it's more than petrifying. Not much later another wagon rolled up. A women who was well pampered and red-brown hair got out. Her skin was flawless and she had beautiful seafoam green eyes. She was beautiful.
"You must be Ariella."
"Ariel for short ma'am."
"I'm your Aunt Grace your mothers sister." I showed her to her room and helped her lug her stuff there. It was late at night so I got on my night clothes and went to sleep. My aunt was singing the most beautiful song that I couldn't make out the words to. It was soothing and calm and slowly put me to sleep.
.......

It was 4:00 am and I heard the front door opened. I looked out my window and saw Aunt Grace going toward the water. We lived by the beach and it was a great view. She jumped in and never came up. Did she drown? I ran into her room and took out her diary. I know it was rude but it was for my own sake. I flipped through the pages until I made it to a diary entry from yesterday.

Dear diary,
I have been invited to stay at my brother in laws house until the war was done. He told me to watch his daughter. Luckily, they live on the beach so I have a quick walk to water. The cooler water will be a change from the Barbados. It will be different for me being a tropical mermaid and all. The only thing I am worried about is Ariella. One brief contact of water could reveal my secret. If she finds out she may never want to see me again. To be honest I want to get to know her. I have to go and make supper.
                                      Sincerely,
                                             Grace
I can't believe what I just read. My aunt is a mermaid.