Chapter Thirty-Three: Love?

Start from the beginning

They eyed each other carefully, each processing an answer inside their head.

“We’re nearing the end of our senior year,” Jessica sighed, pushing away the salad she was eating, “Honestly, I’m scared of what will happen.”

“Will you and Blake still be together?”

“I don’t know. Blake got a football scholarship two states away from the college I applied for.”

“Lillian, how did you maintain a relationship with Charlie?” I asked, turning to our only friend who got a taste of a college other half.

“It wasn’t easy,” she admitted, “We’ll call each other every single day but we only see each other during the weekends when he goes home.”

“Who goes home during the weekends?” Blake suddenly pops up, claiming the seat next to Jessica, followed by Lucas.

“Charlie,” Annabelle answered, “We’re talking about college.”

“College?” Drew pulled the chair next to mine and sat on it, “Pretty deep topic for a conversation.”

“It’s fast approaching,” I shrugged, “Prom preparations will be done soon and after that, it’s goodbye high school.”

He was silent for a moment, contemplating on what he would say. We never actually talked on what will happen after we graduate. Everything was happening at lightning speed, it was difficult to catch up.

The thing was, we all don’t know where we are heading in our friendship. Jessica was going to a fashion school in New York, Lillian was off to California to prep herself for law school, Annabelle was going back home to South Carolina, Blake – as said by Jessica – was going three states away from New York so I have no idea where. Lucas, well, he has yet to say what his plan was and so had Drew.

One thing for sure is that, we will all be torn apart.

When the days passed, my mind kept swirling about it. Even when I took the liberty of visiting Ariel while Drew went to work, I kept thinking about the future.

Using the key Drew handed me before we parted ways, I unlocked the front door and went inside.

“Ariel, where are you?”

“Living room!”

I discarded my bag on the coffee table and looked at Ariel who had her casted leg elevated on a throw pillow. The bandage that was once wrapped at the side of her head was finally gone but if you squint your eyes, you’ll be able to see the stitches near her hairline.

“How are you?” I asked, sitting on the coffee table which was able to support my weight.

“Had my better days,” she shrugged, trying to be light and fun though I could see the suffering in her eyes, “How’s my daughter.”

“She’s alright,” I answered. As long Ariel couldn’t walk properly, I managed to convince them to let Savannah stay in my house. We all knew that Ariel was still too immobile to take care of her and Drew is far too busy to do so.

“Thank you, Celeste,” she suddenly stated with a huge grateful smile.

“For what?” I asked , a little bit confused.

“Honestly, everything,” she sighed, “You cheered my Drew up, you became the big sister Savannah always wanted, you’ve been helping this family non-stop and I couldn’t thank you enough.”

“It’s nothing really, I just want to see you guys happy.”

She studied my face for a moment before gesturing me to help her into a sitting position. I did and transferred the pillow to the coffee table where she settled her foot and I plopped down on the spot next to her.