Cupid's Incorporated - Chapter Twenty-Six

My jaw dropped.

The whole table went silent as I stared at my mother and Henry’s expectant faces.

Moving in together.

Our parents were moving in together.

It felt like time had slowed down, and all I could see was my mother and Henry. Henry looked scared, and my mother looked nervous. They stared between us, waiting for a reaction.

Oh, my God. They want a reaction! What the hell am I supposed to say when they drop a bombshell like that on us?!

I turned to Ashton for help, but he seemed like a deer caught in headlights. He wasn’t going to help me anytime soon.  His chocolate-brown eyes were wide, and his plump pink lips were parted in surprise. His clean-shaven jaw was slack as he stared between our parents.

“What? How?” I asked, staring between them with eyes so wide I felt like my eyeballs would pop out of my skull at any moment.

My mother smiled and exchanged a loving look with Henry. “Well, things have been amazing, and we’ve decided to take it to the next level. We’re going to move in together and if things go well, we might even possibly get married!”

Oh, sweet baby Jesus.

“I—Uh,” I stammered, trying to find words as my mouth opened and snapped closed, making me resemble a fish. “Can you excuse me for a minute? I need some air.”

I stood up , my seat scraping against the floor with a cringe-worthy squeal, and I walked quickly outside, letting the cool air envelop me. I leaned against the building and puffed out my cheeks, letting the words sink in.

Married.

My mom and Henry wanted to get married.

No, I didn’t have to worry about that yet. That was still an if. A maybe.

The moving in together, however, was not an if. It was a big, cold, hard definite for Ash and my parents.

All of a sudden I felt a presence behind me, and I turned around to see Ashton standing before me, his hands stuffed in his pockets and his blonde hair tousled as if he'd run his hands through his hair a million times.

“So, that was quite the bombshell, huh?” he asked, moving to stand beside me. He was so close now that I could feel the warmth of his body heat against my side, but that was the last thing I was focused on right now.

It was suddenly dawning on me that maybe Ashton and I should've told our parents about our relationship. Maybe if they knew they wouldn't have decided to move in together, and we wouldn't be in this situation.

It wasn't like I didn't know they'd move in together. They were so in love with each other, and anyone in a ten-mile radius could tell, but I just hadn't expected it to be so soon. It was all so fast.

I nodded affirmatively, replying to Ashton's question. “Uh-huh. It’s times like this I really wished I smoked. I could use a cigarette right now to dull down the stress.”

He chuckled. “Something tells me that won’t help the situation.”

I sighed, pushing my raven hair back. “What do we do, Ash? What do we say?”

He shrugged. “What can we say? They’ve made up their minds. They’re moving in together. It’s a definite. I guess we just have to go in and say that we’re happy for them. Even if we’re not. If it’s something they want, we just have to accept it.”