Cupid's Incorporated - Chapter Seven

~~~~

Another beautiful picture of Mia to the side made by 1olMichelle. I love it! Thanks, lovely! x

~~~~

The next morning, as children ran around the boardwalks eating ice-creams and chasing each other, I made my way towards the Coffee Shack, the chic café on the beach.

         When I entered, I looked around the bustling café for the familiar boy. When I spotted him, I started squeezing through the aisled towards him.

         Ashton didn’t notice me at first. He sat with hand cupping his chin, staring out the window at the sea absent-mindedly.

         I stood at the edge of the table until he noticed me.

         When he spun around to face me, his face lit up into a grin, and my stomach did a small flop. I smiled at him. “Hey.”

         “Hey, Mia.” He gestured to the free seat across from him. “Take a seat.”

         I took a seat and blotted my hands on my jean-shorts, looking around the café at all the girls drooling over Ashton. I couldn’t blame them. He was gorgeous. And I’m sure the British accent was driving a lot of girls wild.

         What are you doing, Mia? I scolded myself internally. Focus!

         “Hey, you OK?” Ashton asked, leaning forward a little. “You look a little distracted.”

         “No, I’m fine,” I answered. “Just thinking.”

         He quirked an eyebrow. “Wow. Miracles do happen.”

         I slapped him on the arm, but I think I did more harm to my hand than to him. “Shut up.”

         He smirked arrogantly just as a waitress walked over to us. She was an older lady with silvery-gray hair, kind blue eyes and a cheeky grin.

         “What can I get you two?” she asked kindly, her tangerine-stained lips quirking into a smile.

         “I’ll get an iced caramel latte,” I replied.

         “I’ll have a coffee, no milk, two sugars.”

         “I’ll be back in a moment with your orders,” she told us, before making her way back to the counter to make our coffees.

         “So,” I said, turning back to him. “Any great ideas for our plan?”

         He rested his elbows on the table and created a steeple with his fingers, smirking evilly. “I was thinking that maybe we should have a little fun with this.”

         I narrowed my eyes a little suspiciously. “Like how?”

         “Well, we’re trying to keep our parents’ apart, but we should at least make it enjoyable.”

         “If it involves anything illegal, impossible, illicit, or just plain stupid, then I’m not doing it,” I told him, figuring I should state the boundaries from the beginning.

         He mock-pouted. “You’re no fun.”

         “What were you thinking?” I said, deciding to change the subject. It would be so much easier.

         Just then the waitress came along with our orders, interrupting us. She gave us a maternal smile and handed out our orders. “Is there anything else I can get you?” the lady asked.