Eleven ~ Cicatrices

Peter

The necklace still in my hand, I approach the southern entrance of the Home Tree. Charles, on guard on top of the first wall, notices my approach and hops down.

"I'm sure you'll be pleased to know that Evelynn is here," Charles says, a hint of disgust in his voice.

Though the news does please me, I'm disturbed at Charles indiscretions, at his blatant dislike of Evelynn. He doesn't know her. Well, neither do I.

I am even more disturbed at the Faery Queen's last sentences. The shadows are growing restless. Memories of my own darkness come back in quick flashes. Chills run up and down my spine. For the first time since Evelynn has been in Neverland, she isn't the first thing I want to see, the first thing I want to talk about. Charles notices.

"Are you alright, Peter? You aren't swooning like I thought you would," he says, his eyes looking me up and down. I take a deep breath and continue walking towards the main courtyard.

"Walk with me, Charles," I ask, a command more than a request.

"The Faery Queen called you?"

I feel the pendant between my index and thumb, rubbing the cool metal.

"Yes."

"Did she threaten us?"

"Not exactly."

When we reached the main courtyard, safe inside the torchlight, I walk to one of the spear racks near the eastern inner wall, picking one up and inspecting its weight. Too many thoughts chase each other in my mind. How can I tell Charles what I've been told? I certainly can't tell him what the Faery Queen suspects Evelynn's connection to the island is, and I certainly shouldn't create fear in his heart by telling him what she said about the shadows. But he should know. He's one of the only Lost Boys that I know I can trust, despite the hardships of surviving on an island. So, for the second time today, I take the cowardly approach.

"You've fought many battles with me."

"Aye, I have."

"Against cannibals and pirates."

"Many times."

"You were one of the first orphans selected by Coldworth, with me back in the Other World."

"Yeah...." Charles muses. He raises an eyebrow. "What is it? Is it dire?"

"It's pretty bad," I reply, nodding. "The Faery Queen is dying. She's offering us safety and a truce if she gets to talk to Evelynn."

"Evelynn? Why does she want to talk to Evelynn?"

"Keep your voice down!" I hiss, looking around at a few other boys scouting the perimeter. Charles clenches his fist tighter around his torch, his knuckles turning white. "Look, I'm not trying to inspire secrecy among our group, alright?" I glance at the shadows, praying to whatever deity that they don't come alive. "But I can't tell you. Not yet. Not at night."

"If it's that bad that it can't be discussed in the firelight it shouldn't be discussed at all. Not even between you and the Faery Queen."

"She has magic that can protect conversations from unwanted listeners," I say, excitement and nerves making my voice  raise and quicken.

"No one would betray us here, Peter," Charles mutters, shaking his head. He rolls his eyes. "Look, call a meeting, wake up the boys, make them eat more dinner and tell us what the hell is going on!"

"Stop yelling."

"I don't care if Coldworth hears us! I don't care if the savages do! This is my home too, Peter, and if it's going to be jeopardized by some girl you have a fancy with--"