Eight ~ Perdidit stella prophetiae

"It started with a song, but ended with a lie.
It began with a breeze, that soon would die.
Three bright lights, in the morn,
One to fall at twilight, leaving the land lorn.
Say goodnight, sweet light,
For tomorrow is another fight.
Gather your strength, for I am here,
And darkness will never come near."

The voice is faint, like fog barely burning off the river, lifting back up into the air. It's not Tinker Bell; it was too elegant for her, but it rang with the same magic. Another faerie? My eyes flutter open just as a leaf falls from a branch overhead, drifting down next to my head. I sit up, brushing a brown woolen blanket off of my legs. I don't remember falling asleep. Maybe I passed out, or maybe the journey here was packed with too much excitement. I rub my eyes of the disturbing dream I just had and look behind me. My jaw drops.

About fifty yards away from me is a tree, bigger than any I've ever seen or heard of. An opening similar to the Deku Tree's mouth is cut, and within, it must be as long as a football stadium. The bark is a pale white and seems to glow in the direct moonlight. Branches fan out in every direction, as long and wide as redwood trees. Little tree houses hang from them by rope, almost invisible in the dense curtain of greenery. The leaves are multicolored, green around the outside and red within, like a beating heart. Square holes are cut farther up, like launch pads for flying children or balconies to enjoy the view. A wall of logs and cobblestone stretches on either side of the tree, curving into a semi circle with a gate facing the sea.

It's far grander than in my dream. It's greater than I could ever imagine. Compared to Peter Pan's hideout in the cartoon, this is the equivalent of an ant next to a blue whale.

"Good. You're awake." I turn, ripped from my daze.

Tinker Bell stands a few feet off, a bag over her shoulder.

"How did I pass out?" I ask, standing and brushing the dirt off my pants.

"I'm not sure. The Lost Boys managed to carry you but then I had to waste some of my pixie dust to bring you all the way." She glares at me disapprovingly. "Pixie dust isn't easy to get, you know."

"Don't worry; I won't be passing out anytime soon." My gaze returns to the tree. "The Lost Boys live here?"

"They've lived here for a long time, but on the island longer. The tree wasn't always here. Peter planted it."

Sorrow for the boys fills me; how many years had to pass for this tree to grow this large?

"Don't feel sorry for them," Tink snaps. "They like it here." She slings the pack off of her shoulder and drops it in my arms. "Follow me."

I do as she says. We enter the tree and my mind is blown yet again.

A huge chandelier hangs from the ceiling with intricate sculptures of mermaids and faeries holding onto the candles. A large sitting area is carved a few feet underground, with steps leading to the fireplace. Training dummies are set up at one end of the hall and at least fifteen piles of books are stacked high in another. Deer antlers and bear heads are mounted on the walls. Three small waterfalls cascade, one falling straight down, and the other two at an angle, merging into one stream that drifts lazily into a beautifully crafted pool. In one of the sofas, a familiar head of hair faces away from me.

"Valerie?" I say. She whips her head around and smiles widely.

I run to her.

"I thought you died!" I whisper, hugging her warmly.

"I thought you were going to get tortured by pirates!" she replies with equal enthusiasm. "I fell off the side of the boat when they were trying to...." She smiles sheepishly and continues. "Peter caught me and then brought me here. He went to the Governor's House, whatever that is."