Chapter 22

Catherine had spent the night in the invalid's room, because he had earnestly begged her to, and she was glad to yield to his wants because she had yearned for his boyish self since first she had seen him in all his fresh schoolboy pride. She hoped that after his illness he did not treat her as coolly as he had treated her before, and that he could draw a familiarity and warmth from her presence. However, like his father, he had more delicacy than warmth, and was better suited for politeness than openness, and the older he grew the more apparent it became.

As soon as he had dropped off, she crept downstairs, for breakfast was to be had in five minutes. She met Mr. Utterson on the stairs, and warned him of his patient's present doze.

"In view of the circumstances, then," said the placid, gentlemanly doctor, "I shall breakfast with you, if you don't consider it an impertinence."

"Not in the least," she smiled, descending the stairs and then veering into the breakfast room, whither she was disappointed by the absence of her brother-in-law. Mr. Utterson seemed thoroughly pleased with her, and smiled a good deal, talking to her of his work and his life – his struggles and his enjoyments. Catherine found in him a disinterested companion who knew his own mind and had a clear perception and good understanding of the world and its inhabitants. He had been witness to so many different types of character, that he knew human beings more thoroughly than Mr. Musgrave did from mere observation. He was a man of science, true, but he did not for a moment appear to be bored by her. She did not say much – she mostly listened – but most men are glad to be listened to so attentively with such pleasing expressions of understanding.

Mr. Utterson was still talking when Mr. Musgrave appeared, giving his excuses for his late arrival. Catherine immediately transferred her attentions from the phlegmatic apothecary to the kind-eyed gentleman, and inquired anxiously into his health.

"Had he slept well? – Was his headache quite gone? – Did he prefer tea or coffee?" Albert was gratified by the warm attentions bestowed on him by so fine a woman, and felt quite overpowered. He could not give an answer to any of her questions without some hesitation in his look and tone. Her eyes were filled with affectionate anxiety for him as her hands poured the tea into his cup, and both he and Utterson could not take their eyes off this industrious and obliging lady, for in spite of her courteous manners, she gave the impression of being intensely independent and stout-hearted. The quietest can often be the most intriguing.

"I believe you stayed in Philip's room all night," said Albert, with an easygoing smile. "You must be exhausted – neither I nor Utterson assisted you in the task."

"Yes, we should be ashamed of ourselves," said Utterson, in a more affable tone than he was used to speaking in. "But I have trust in your stalwart health, Miss Crane. You could not have gotten very weak – you may be tired, and indeed look much fagged, but that is all. As a doctor, Miss Crane, I would advise you to go sleep in your brother-in-law's room for a couple of hours, and then report to me. If you still feel fatigued, then I shall prescribe you a tonic."

"Yes, Catherine, it would comfort me to know that you are well-rested," said Albert, with a look of warm regard and courteous concern. "And my room is all yours until you feel fully restored."

"Since I've no arguments against such a scheme, and since I do feel exceedingly fatigued, I shall go," she said, rising to her feet with a pale smile meant for both gentlemen. "I thank you, Mr. Utterson, for the lively conversation." Since she had nothing to say to Mr. Musgrave, she only smiled at him, and then retired to his room.