The Key: Two

Two

"My parents just filed a divorce." My jaw dropped, even though I wasn't really surprised- it was bound to happen sooner or later, we just weren’t ready for it to happen today- and quickly strode across the room and enveloped her in a hug, which I soon felt Ella join. Pulling away, she shook her head. "It's okay. I-I just have to go home and check up on everything, I-I-"

"Hey," I said, "its okay. Go." Even though I hated the thought of being alone in this huge, empty house, my concerns for Sam and her family were much stronger, and her issue seemed much more important.

Ella looked at me. "I'm going too; she's dropping me at home." I nodded. We exchanged goodbyes, and I quickly found myself guilt cleaning- you know the feeling you need to do something when you’re guilty? I clean. Should I have offered to come? Should I have at least taken Elle home? Will they both be mad at me now?  So many thoughts swirled around in my head as I dusted the bench tops, picking off every little inch of dirt out of every crevice. I was a bit of a neat freak too, so everything had to be perfect. My dad liked and hated that at the same time because the house was nice and clean, but I’d always shove away all of his paperwork and he’d never be able to find it.

Suddenly, my pocket vibrated and I jumped, slamming the duster on the bench as I did so and hitting my head on a rack of pots and pans I was crouched under. "Ow! Geez!" I cursed as I rubbed my throbbing head as every pan trembled and rang out loudly. Huffing, I pulled my phone from my pocket with a sigh, and realized the vibrating had been the alarm I set for 4:00pm- an alert to tell me to cook dinner for my Dad. Four already? We slept in then... I quickly realized that I'd actually been cleaning for five hours- longer than I ever had before. “Geez, this must be bad…”I muttered to myself

Looking around my surroundings, I noticed the house was practically shining, and my eyes widened at the good job I'd done. I should feel guilty more often... I thought. Quickly, I whipped up all the ingredients to my Dad's favourite meal- smoked salmon with this special sauce, with a side of roasted and seasoned vegetables- and started preparing dinner. I shuffled around in draws, banged on pots, and mixed a whole lot of stuff until the salmon was on the stove, beside the sauce which was on a low boil.

Quickly enough, I had a nice plate of salmon, topped with yummy sauce, seasoned with herbs, set out on the dining room table, which had a nice, clean checkered table cloth on it. The whole house practically shone with its cleanliness- it was creepy. I poured my dad a glass of water, dropping a couple of ice cubes into the glass, and placed it in front of his plate which was still steaming: it was so freshly cooked.

I checked my watch- six thirty pm on the dot- usually 'dinner time' for dad. Not wanting to seem too eager, I waited a few minutes by the table for him to arrive, and when he didn't I took up my position on the couch, where I sat for a while playing on my phone. After twenty minutes, I decided to text Dad. 

Where are you?

Dinner is getting cold! Nearly home?

Nora x

Bored of my phone, I sighed and gave in to the TV. Slumping into the most comfortable position I possibly could on the couch, I stuck my feet up and got a good look at my toes, which were in desperate need of a manicure. I must book an appointment…. I scooped up the remote and flipped on the TV, which was still on the DVD played playing 27 Dresses. Sighing, I flicked it off and switched to the television, jumping a little as the loud TV blared at me. I fumbled with the remote to turn the stupid volume down. The news lady blurred onto the screen, joking about something with her co-anchor, a strange guy with a mustache, and I was just about to change the channel when her perky face turned into one of sorrow. I cocked my head to the side and straightened up in my chair.