The Key: Prologue

Prologue

The rain hammered on everything and anything it could, spitting from the sky, bringing its wrath of destruction. Thunder roared when lightning struck, and everyone stayed in their little brick houses, seeking cover from one of the many storms that hit the small, lush town of Crimsondale.

Green, soft leaves blew about in the furious wind and tree branches fell and swayed about as a man in a dark cloak walked alone down old Chapman Avenue. Un-phased by the rain, the figure was merely a shadow on the dark streets, which were lit only by dim street lamps and the few rays of light of the moon that weren't covered by cloud.

Puddles filled the streets as raindrops continued to pelt down and the ground quickly became soft and moist. The man's boots quickly filled with water and his dark hood continued to fall down due to the rough wind, but he walked through the storm calmly, as if nothing was happening at all. In his hand he carried a package, concealed neatly in a plastic, black pouch.

As the man passes houses and ignores the many driveways, his eyes only ever sweep over the house number, mostly printed on the different mailboxes down the street. He's been looking for a house; her house.

As lighting shoots across the sky, the lights on the streets flicker out, leaving the street dark. The man needs no light though; he's reached the house he's been looking for. Only for a moment, he examines the black, silver-rimmed letter box, reading the numbers 28 before gently slipping the thin package through its slot. He waits a moment before swiftly turning on his heel, his coat momentarily flowing out behind him.

The man paused and slipped his hood over his head and stretched his neck, murmuring a few word to himself as he did so. He started to walk back down the street, fast and confident, his head cocked at a certain angle as he walked, making him look as fearsome as ever.

Thunder bellowed out across the town as the rain continued to hammer down, and the man gave a sly smile to himself as he turned around the street corner and wandered into the black of the night.