The Key: One

One

Beep! Beep! Bee-

I threw my alarm clock off my bedside table and into the smooth, cream wall of my bedroom, where it smashed into a million pieces before it could give off another beep. I'd forgotten to turn my alarm off for the weekend and now, thanks to my forgetfulness, I was awake at 8:00 AM on a Saturday morning.

Sighing, I rolled over in bed and smacked my hands to my face and let out a groan. That was my third alarm clock this month. Dad was going to kill me.

My eyes fluttered open and met the warm rays of sunlight streaming in from behind the red, silk curtains that hung on my window; the only sign of the storm that had struck last night was the dampness that covered everything. Downstairs, I heard clanging in the kitchen and rolled my eyes. Dad was trying to cook again?

Sitting up in bed, I stretched my arms above my head, which gave their usual creak as my muscles warmed up. I swung my feet over the edge of my bed and shook out my legs, which groaned objectingly. The fluffy bunny slippers that always sat by the edge of my bed were positioned neatly as always, and I slipped the soft shoes onto my feet. I gave a yawn as I shimmied into my dressing gown and wandered down the stairs.                

In the kitchen, Dad had a pan on the stove and was attempting to cook up some bacon and eggs. The kettle off to the side was upside down, beside his tipped over coffee mug. Dad turned at the sound of footsteps and his eyes met mine. "Oh, good morning sweetie." His hair stuck up in every which direction and big black circles hung under his eyes as sweat on his upper lip formed.

"Dad..." I groaned, taking the greasy, plastic spatula he held in his hand. "Sit down, I'll handle it."

"But... you always cook. I just wanted to help for a cha-" Dad's face was pitiful and I had to cut him off.

"You work six days a week to pay for us and on top of that, you do the housework," I chuckled, "I think a little bit of cooking won't hurt."

Dad took a step towards me and gave me a hug, planting a peck on my forehead. "Thanks sweetie." He grabbed the crumpled up newspaper off the floor and wandered off to the dining room table to read it.                  

I turned the stove to low heat and set the spatula aside while I cleaned up the mess Dad had made, chucking out his attempt to cook an egg sunny side up. The bacon was okay, so I kept that. I put the kettle on and reorganized his coffee cup as I cooked his egg properly.

A few minutes later, I presented a half-decent looking coffee, and to the side, bacon and eggs on toast to Dad. His features lit up and he gave me a warm smile. "I'm your hero, I know Dad." I returned his smile and set his meal in front of him.

Returning to the kitchen, I served myself some plain toast and a glass of breakfast juice, which I quickly consumed. Usually I wouldn't have breakfast until around 10:00 AM- I wasn't a morning eater- but today, I wanted to go to the cafe for brunch with two of my best friends, so I decided to eat early.

Racing up the stairs and into my bedroom, I hurriedly got changed into some jeans and a tank top, quickly brushing out my long, dark hair, in which often their weren't very many knots. I grabbed my keys and purse and headed to the front door, shouting over my shoulder, "Dad, I'm going to that brunch with Sam and Ella now, okay?"

"Yeah, sure. I've got tones of work to do today anyway. And the housework, and pay the bills and-" he sighed. "I miss your mother."

I paused halfway out the front door and had to lean on the frame for support. Mum. Two years ago my mum drowned- was drowned. The police never investigated in her murder because there wasn't enough evidence. I remember swimming at the beach then losing her... walking down to the docks and finding her dead body, bobbing up and down. Her skin was so pale, her eyes distraught. I shivered at the memory. "Me too..." I whispered before stepping outside and closing the door behind me.