Looking-Glass

Fear gets our attention like it's what you need the most. We are not fond of it, but it comes anyway.

Why? Tell me, why are we all scared? A spider is creeping on the wall and makes you scream. A cockroach rather. All I can say is that it's a harmless insect.

We are all scared of something, but mine is a complete mess. I am about to face it, finally. I turn to the object and stiffen. My feet are glued to the ground as I am face-to-face with the one thing I'm afraid of.

A mirror.

Checking my phone, you don't see a single selfie. Maybe a self portrait taken by someone else, but never one by me.

I have to go through this every second of my days. During scene shooting, make-up needs to be applied. And a mirror is always there. I turn my chair away from that glass and let the people proceed with their work.

Though the first time this phobia has attacked, was my 13th birthday. All I wanted was a make-up set. I received it.
My mother sat me on a chair and made me close my eyes. I felt a few brushes on my face and a glossy-wet stuff applied on my lips. Mother told me to open my eyes.

I did...but it turned out wrong. I screamed. My voice was so loud, the neighbor called the police. Though the paramedics are there, they couldn't stop me from screaming or crying. Not even my mother...

Now I am here, standing in front of the object that scares me. What made me different from others. My hair was shriveled. My face was pale and flushed.

I looked messed-up.

I reach out and touch the glass. I flinched and pulled back my hand. My breathing hitch and I begin to cry. Legs give away and I fall to the floor.

A distant sound of a man's voice saying "Cut!" is heard. The sound was so faint, I barely heard it. Hands caught my shoulders and shake me. I am screaming again.

The paramedics arrive. A cloth is wrapped around my shoulders as I scream and cry like I did at my 13th birthday.

The trauma of that mirror has never escaped me.

A/N: No, I am not brave. I'm not scared of mirrors but I AM SCARED OF SPIDERS AND COCKROACHES OR ANY OTHER FORM OF INSECTS EXCEPT FOR THOSE LITTLE ANTS.
Yes, butterflies are on that list.