"Amazing," I breathed. Here was yet another unique gift, one that I could only have inherited from my mother! I blinked and rubbed my eyes a few times, then glanced back at my phone. They were still glowing. I had a sudden desire to text Kimmie, but with a pang of guilt, I realized I could never let her in on such a weird and fascinating secret.

Kimmie...Oh, no, tomorrow was the big day—the day I had to say goodbye to all my teachers and friends. It was going to be rough for Kimmie and I. And afterwards, on Saturday morning, Dad and I were leaving for Shady Cove at the break of dawn.

I sighed and glanced out my window at the milky-white moon. My stomach twisted into a tight knot as I realized the peculiar dilemma I was in. I desperately wanted to tell Kimmie about my glowing powers, but now I was being ripped away from her in less than forty-eight hours. I was still puzzled as to why I had never come across anyone else with my powers, including Dad. Even though he knew about my hair, he had instructed me to never, ever tell anyone else. I knew the reason why: I would be labeled a freak.

"Maybe I am a freak," I muttered. As soon as I spoke those words, a light breeze tousled the leaves of the apple tree outside my window, and the ray of moonlight disappeared. The beautiful blue streaks in my hair vanished just as quickly as they had appeared, leaving my tan fingers stroking plain black locks once more.

I hugged my knees tighter against my chest. With a sigh, I wondered how in the world I would survive tomorrow—and then Saturday, the big moving day. A lone tear trickled down my cheek. My life was crumbling, falling through my hands, like millions of grains of sand. And I hated it.

_ _ _ _ _

Friday passed with an ill combination of dread and sadness. I went through the motions of going to all my normal classes, and yet it felt anything but normal. My teachers all regarded me with sad expressions, saying, "We're sorry to see you go," and "We'll miss you." A few of my classmates walked up and gave me cookies and brownies. The last period of the day—swim—was by far the worst. Coach didn't make anyone work out or swim laps—instead, my teammates threw a mini-party out on the pool deck, complete with balloons and cupcakes and streamers. I was touched, especially when I spotted Kimmie quietly wiping a few tears off her cheeks when the dismissal bell rang. Coach and I had a bittersweet conversation towards the end of the party, but when I spotted Kimmie sniffling near the entrance to the locker room, I politely excused myself.

My heart went out to my friend. "Hey," I said quietly as soon as she was within earshot.

"Hey." She gave me a sad smile. "So I guess this is the last time we'll stand on this pool deck together, right?" A wry laugh escaped her lips.

"No, of course not, Kimmie. We'll see each other at least once a week—I made Dad promise me that much. And I'll call you every single day to catch up with you and see how things are going. Plus, we can even write letters, just for fun."

Kimmie sniffled again before reaching over and giving me a big hug. "Okay. But it's still hard to believe that you're moving, even after all we've been through together."

"Yeah." I felt some tears of my own pricking at the corners of my eyes. "So...how about coming over to my house right now? We could hang out one last time, since Dad and I are leaving early tomorrow morning and all..."

"Of course! I'd love to, Rayne." Kimmie smiled and wiped another tear away. "Sorry I'm such a crybaby. It's not like you're moving all the way across the continent or anything."