Chapter 12

Skirting the swampy ground filling the floor of the valley, Brayden, Sethyr and Vijhan had traveled eight days in a generally southerly direction, following the valley downward.  The valley was fertile with game aplenty and Vijhan often returned from his scouting forays with a brace of robust hare or pheasant.  Just before dusk came each evening Vijhan would lead them to a protected campsite he discovered during the day.  Brayden was amazed at how far the Canid could range in a day and still return to them each afternoon.  He thought how hopeless it would be to have an entire pack of the relentless hunters dogging his every step and thanked Chanti that Vijhan was their companion and not their pursuer.

Each morning Sethyr insisted on taking a private stroll.  The mage refused to explain why, becoming angry and defensive when the Protector asked for an explanation.  After the third morning walk, Sethyr returned, seemingly pleased with something that occurred during the stroll.  Brayden decided it would be simpler to drop the subject as it appeared to be at an end.  Vijhan followed his lead and did not bring up the subject again.

As they traveled farther, the valley widened, slowing dropping to meet a wide expanse of roiling, tall grass.  From their vantage point Brayden could not count the animals moving across the plain in mixed herds.  Many gathered at the edge of an expansive lake fed by several converging rivers flowing from valleys very much like the one they had just traversed. The veldt spread before Brayden.

The Protector called for a halt, causing Sethyr to grumble.  Vijhan thoughtfully complied, but something about his demeanor gave the impression that he was on edge.  Brayden slipped his pack off, setting it on the ground and squatting down to search for something inside.  He retrieved a worn, roughly-drawn map.  The map was inked on supple leather that had been bleached almost white.  Despite its rough nature, the map contained very detailed, albeit messy, drawings.

Brayden sat down on a nearby stone and studied the map.  Mumbling to himself, he ran his finger over several spots, mentally retracing their steps.

Vijhan peered over his shoulder, his eyes sparkling with curiosity.

“No wonder you Humans seek to build empires.  They seem so small on a map,” the Canid remarked.  “Hardly an effort to conquer something so tiny.”

Brayden ignored the friendly jibe but Sethyr rose to the challenge.

“Yes, Vijhan, I supposed it would be difficult to draw a map for Canids, what with having to mark all the territories with urine.”

Vijhan barked a laugh.  “Aye, ye’d have to have a whole pack of us just to scent it right.”

Sethyr began to answer but closed her mouth.  She had expected the comment to draw his ire, not a laugh.  The mage knew that continuing this particular sparring match would only result in her own irritation.  Vijhan’s growing good mood seemed to have grown during their trek and seemingly made him immune to her barbs.  Sethyr decided to bide her time until the Canid was feeling more vulnerable.  A sting in a soft spot always proved more effective.

Sethyr stifled a grin, but not quickly enough.  Vijhan turned and caught sight of her smile, returning it warmly.

“Ah, Sethyr, tis fine that you find yourself in an agreeable mood this morning.  You’re a good companion anyhow, but even better when the mood strikes you.”

A flash of guilt passed through Sethyr. She wondered how Vijhan could be so sunny and open.  He hardly seemed the same Canid who they defeated in Hedgewise.  She began to ponder this while returning his smile weakly.  If Vijhan temper remained so clement Sethyr worried that she might lose her edge and actually begin to enjoy his company.  She had made that mistake only a few times in the past, and with the exception of Brayden, each time it had ended badly.