Chapter 15

To Vijhan’s canine eyes Kath was still a distant smudge on the horizon but the smell stabbed at his sense of smell, alternating between the stench of rotting garbage and the cloying odor of thousands of unwashed humans.  Hidden beneath the overpowering human smells the sharp tang of the sea teased Vijhan’s nose.  He had never seen the ocean, but its crisp scent stirred his instincts.

As they drew closer to the city, the stench increased, but the Canid’s nose began to adapt to it.  If he concentrated he could ignore the smell and pick out other, les powerful scents.  Vijhan thought that with practice he might be able to bear it for a while.

The outline of the city sharpened, gaining clarity as they drew closer.  The walls slopped upward like a slab-sided pyramid, the parapets topped with graceful, rounded merlons.  From this distance it was impossible for Vijhan to see if the walls were manned, but he had to assume that they must be at least minimally guarded.

The gate lay directly ahead of them, the road they traveled on running perpendicular to the city walls.  It stood at the end of the road, a fortress unto itself.  A huge banner flew from its highest tower, billowed by a stiff sea breeze.

“We should think about leaving the caravan soon…that is if we believe our mysterious warning,” Sethyr said.

Brayden sighed.  “I suppose you are right.  I have grown accustomed to the luxury of riding, but I suppose I could stretch these old legs of mine.”

“We should go now,” Vijhan added.  “If we wait much longer, the gate guards may see us abandon the caravan and send out men to see why.  If I commanded that gate, I’d have men with spy glasses watching the incoming traffic for just such a thing.”

“What are we waiting for, then?”  Sethyr asked.  She gathered up her pack and a sack of food they had purchased from the caravaneers and gingerly climbed down from the slow moving wagon.  She hopped off the last few feet, landing on the dusty road next to Vijhan.  When she got close enough the Canid could smell the mage’s cinnamony scent.  It always made him smile inwardly.  He enjoyed the scent, but would never admit it to Sethyr.  She strived to be as unpleasant as possible at all times and knowing that he found her scent pleasing could cause no end of disagreement.

It took Brayden more time to gather himself before hopping down.  Vijhan had to steady him as he nearly toppled over after taking a bad step.

“Careful, my friend,” Vijhan said, his hand clamped firmly on Brayden’s elbow.

“I’m fine.  My thanks for the steady hand,” Brayden replied, embarrassed.

A look passed between Vijhan and Sethyr.  They both hoped that Brayden had not seen the concern in their eyes.  It pained the Canid to admit it, but in the short time he had known the Protector Brayden had seemed to have lost a step.  He seemed older, somehow.

One of the caravan guards turned impassively to watch the three friends hurry into the high grass next to the road. Vijhan hoped that if questioned, the guard would not mention the caravan’s temporary guests and their suspicious departure.

The others followed Vijhan deeper into the grass, away from the road.  Just as he anticipated, the Canid soon came upon a wide game trail.  This far from the road, the grass grew high enough that it reached over their heads, but just barely.  The trail cut a neat furrow through the tall grass, which in most places nearly met, almost as if the tri were traveling in a swaying, golden tunnel of grain.

“Where in the blazes did this path come from?” Sethyr asked from the rear of the line.

“This is how animals travel to Kath,” Vijhan responded.