"No, I don't, but....can't you and Penny just have an affair and leave it at that?  No one needs to know."

Penny felt her cheeks burn in embarrassment at the thought but the redness turned pale at her next words.

"Everyone already thinks the two of you are sleeping together anyway." Regan sat her coffee cup down hard on the desk in front of her. "I'm sorry if it upsets you Penny, but it's true."

Was that why Sam was marrying her, because everyone thought that they were having an affair and he felt bad and wanted to make it right?

"Stop it Penny!" he commanded, "Whatever you're thinking, just stop it."

"Regan, I have never been ashamed to be your brother but right this minute I am. Why I want to marry Penny is between me and Penny and it's none of your business, just as what happened in my first marriage is none of your business."

"Sam everyone knows what happened in your first marriage, you forget what a small town Savannah is sometimes."

"You were in high school when I married Celeste and you were away at college when we divorced, so you may think you know what happened but trust me you don't. I have never interfered in your love life or your marriage and I would appreciate it if you wouldn't interfere in mine," he hissed as Sentry let out another meow.

Sam looked as angry as he had that night he thought that Penny was trying to trick him as he rose and walked over to the door throwing it open, and Celeste was once again in the hallway. "What do you need Celeste, I am trying to have a private conversation with my sister and Penny and I would appreciate it you would stop eavesdropping!"

So much for him trying to stay on the woman's good side, it was evident that he had had more than enough. Penny remained silent in her corner, watching Regan simmer in her chair and listening to Celeste use her most charming voice to sooth Sam. A few minutes later Sam slammed the door behind him.

"Now, Penny has not accepted my proposal yet and if she does it will be between us, as will our marriage. Why are you so upset about this Regan? I thought you liked Penny?"

"I do," she looked over at Penny her eyes beseeching, "but I don't want to lose the house."

"Why would you lose the house Regan?" Penny asked, genuinely confused.

"If Sam marries it will be his wife's and his children's house."

"You weren't worried about that when I married Celeste?" Sam insisted.

"No I wasn't, I was younger and Father still owned the house then."

Sam and Regan silently regarded each other neither willing to budge on the subject.

"It will always be your house Regan," Penny said, "And your children's."

"So it's not Penny you object to, only the idea of me marrying and being happy because you want to keep the house. A house that I might not be able to keep anyway?" Sam leaned back in his chair watching Regan's reaction.

Penny felt her heart drop to her toes at the news.

"What do you mean you might not be able to keep it?" Regan asked, sitting up straight.

"You know that Father always found Celeste charming and he continued to do so even after our divorce. She wove a tale so tight that Father believed that our divorce was my fault. She even managed to convince him that if he left her half of the house it could be the thing that would reunite us.  Thankfully he didn't have the same easy attitude with his money that he had with the house, so she didn't get any of that. Although, I'm sure that she tried her hardest to talk him out of some of it."