Chapter 15

Thor isn't sure he will ever stop mourning Loki. Grief is intense, and though he knows there is a slight chance of survival, he doesn't believe it. His ascent to the throne has been rocky, but he has a firm hold on what he is to do and the resistance to change has largely died down. This is a new King, with new ideas, and newness is not something Asgard does well.

There is a lone, small woman approaching the throne during this day of meeting with his people. He recognizes her. The others mill in clusters, discussing what they will ask of their king and the state of their neighbourhoods, but she walks straight to him and kneels at the steps.

"Rise. I know you from somewhere, do I not?"

"Yes. Iceni. I come with a message from Queen Sigyn."

He walks down the steps to her, "Oh? You did not give it to the guards?"

"We do not write such things. I will speak them. Your scribe can put the words down. And then you will have them permanently."

He nods and beckons for a guard, "I see. We shall do that, then. as you once did for Odin."

"As I have done many times for Odin. Your father knew well enough to receive us this way. But you may want to hear these words yourself."

"I cannot. I must hear the pleas of every person in this room. There isn't time. I will read them when written."

She bows and leaves with the guard.

Very late that night, long after supper and more audiences and a meeting with Sif and the Three, Thor finally retires to his rooms. There is a letter on his desk and he opens it.

Thor,

Thank you for your hospitality in your city, but my people are once again preparing to move. By the time you receive this, our corner will be empty, the circle cleared of our fire and the possessions we cannot carry left behind.

We will wander, and we will be safe. We have picked up new family, many of our people bringing wives, husbands, children, with them, some bringing new parents, new friends, and pieces of your community, too. They will learn from us and we will grow. Some of our people leave families behind. They do not understand our wanderlust.

Share our homes with the next tribe that needs the shelter and protection of the City of Asgard. We will likely no longer. We have gained a skilled fighter, a man of magic and wit, and he bows willingly to this Queen, once again lover and friend. He has happily met his sons and has taken to the role of their father quite easily. But you may never see him again. I do not know. But it is likely safer for everyone if we do not return to the city.

Know he is safe, he is happy, and he says he will miss you. He is glad he no longer must fight.

With sincerity, Sigyn.

Thor reads the letter twice and then starts laughing. Loki has children. Loki is wandering. Loki is protection to the tribe and consort to the Queen. It suits him. He wonders when he will next run into his brother and hopes that he finds happiness in his travels and nights under the stars.

As Thor is reading the letter, Iceni has finally caught up to the caravans, tents, and carriages that circle a huge fire in the open fields at the edge of the forest far beyond the city. She smells meat cooking and hears music. Children laughing. She ties up her horse and slips between the gaps between homes.

The Queen holds her court, her consort beside her, his hand on her leg, their children playing with the other kids. They listen to the hopes and dreams of their people around the flames. And after, when it is dark and the fire has faded, Loki gathers the children and tells stories illuminated with magic, their tiny faces raised in awe.

The fire dies, caregivers coming to collect the youngest children, "Off to bed, the lot of you," he says, "Even Queens need their sleep and I am anxious to rest. I've only been alive a little while, you know. After being dead, this is exhausting." They giggle and tumble off to bed, his own sons sharing a tent with at least a dozen other kids.

Sigyn leads Loki to her caravan, now richly bedecked in the tapestries and comforts of her carriage. It is huge, for a caravan wagon, tiny, compared to her cottage, and yet it seems more sumptuous for the sheer volume of silks and pillows in it. She brings him to the sleeping loft and draws back the sliding hatch in the roof so they can gaze at the stars as they fall asleep.

"Sigyn?"

"Yes?"

"Thank you."

She smiles and curls against him, "For what, lover?"

"A second chance. A life out here. Your love. Your faithfulness. My sons."

"Make this life count, Loki. The next time you die, it will be for good."

"I know. And I will." He stares out at the night sky, "I haven't seen this many stars in years."

"They're always out here. Just waiting. A blanket over the world."

"We don't just have to wander this one, you know. There are passages off that only I know. Places the Watchman cannot see. And there are so many other stars."

Sigyn sighs, falling asleep quickly, "Maybe we can see them..."

"Maybe. But goodnight, my Queen. Rest well under these ones."

She is already lightly snoring. Loki closes his eyes and takes a deep breath, opening them to the stars above. They are beautiful. As he dozes off, he realizes this is the fastest he has fallen asleep in years and he is completely content.