Chapter 10

Sigyn's children are boisterous, clever boys when Loki reveals himself to the kingdom. The All-Father is dead. Thor is in Midgard. And Loki has miraculously reappeared. A part of her is overjoyed. Another is terrified, wondering what this man will do to their kingdom and if it will start a war when Thor gets wind of his return. She fears it will.

She hides the children in other houses. There are friends who can take them so whatever he has become, if it is as monstrous as those who saw him return from Midgard assumed, will not be a danger to them. And then she bathes, dresses herself in fine yellow silk, and perfumes her hair. She decks herself in gold, weaves her jewels in her hair, and sets out for the palace with her four men. They ride horses. Hers is black, decked in gold, it's mane braided. Theirs are rich brown creatures, and all of them are huge animals, draft horses that once pulled the caravan wagons in their wandering life. Once she would have gone to him discreetly, but now that she does not know him, she rides as a Queen.

At the palace gate, she demands an audience with Loki. The guards look from her to her men and wonder if they are inviting trouble when they let her pass. She is escorted through the courtyard and pays handsomely for their mounts to be well cared for. No one stops her as she walks with only her own escort to the vast throne room. The mood in the palace seems tense. There is no joy for the new king's arrival.

The men at the throne room door open it without question and she holds her head high, haughty, even, as she walks towards the elevated seat. Loki sits casually upon it, leaning to one side, grinning down on his subjects. She stops long before the bottom step.

Her men step forward in unison, clap, and, "HUH." One of them, hands folded behind his back, announces, "Queen Sigyn demands audience of Asgard." The four men bow sharply and stay bent as he studies them.

"And yet Queen Sigyn does not bow," Loki observes, "Why is this, I wonder? Does she not see that Asgard is her protector and host? One she ought be grateful to?"

Another one of the men answers, "Queen Sigyn bows to no King that has not earned the honour."

"And I have not?"

She steps forward, gold bells on her ankles jingling with every step, "You had earned it as my prince. Odin All-Father had earned it as my king. And you are neither. As I do not know you in this form, I will not bend."

"Oh, but I could have it forced upon you, your will broken so that you were subordinate to me in every way..."

"And I could tear out your lying tongue for suggesting such a thing," she states, calm, but sharp.

The guards on either side of the room look wary until he starts to laugh, "I am certain you would try, madam. Perhaps we should continue our conversation in private."

Her four men step forward and close in front of her, "Not until I better know who you are. Come here so that I might see you." It is now her people's turn to look uncomfortable.

Loki shrugs, "There can me no harm in such a little thing." He walks down the steps, a long red cape trailing behind him, "But why have you come, Sigyn, Queen of wanderers? You have no qualm with Asgard's treatment of your people, do you? Or perhaps this is a visit of a more personal nature." He walks up to the four men forming a wall in front of her, "Of course, it does me little good to come down if I cannot reach you."

She places a hand on the shoulders of the two men in the center, "Move a little. Just enough for my sight." They step about a foot apart. She studies him, "You are truly Loki? Not a trick? Not an illusion?"

"Yes."

"Tell me something only he would know."

"And what if I tortured him and drew out his secrets?"

"Then you would have ignored much, as there are little things in our lives that would be so insignificant for torture, but yet would be incredibly intimate in their nature."

"I have seen you dance."

"Many have."

He leans in so his face is close to the human wall keeping him from her, whispering so only she and the two men closest can hear, "I have seen how the ochre and crimson smudge down your sides as you press against me, my fingers making trails in the dust turned to paint with our sweat. I know how those colours run and drip from exerting brows and how they stain the sheets and the shimmering white silk work by my Queen."

She nods, "And are you any semblance of the man I once knew?"

"A private audience, Sigyn, and I will tell you everything."

"Under two conditions."

"Name them."

"My men will stand guard outside the door."

"The other?"

"You will not shield the door from sound more than it is naturally. If you harm me, I must be able to scream and be rescued."

"You fear harm?"

"I know what Frigga knew of the Bifrost and I know somewhat of Midgard. And I also know you fought the darkness on Svartalfheim. You are twice dead, and yet still here you are. I do not know who to expect. Harm is always possible. And I am Queen. I cannot risk this. There is no one yet to take my title."

Loki nods and stands back, "Agreed. Come. This way and we will retire to a private chamber." He turns and briskly walks away. Her men follow, forming a box around her. When they reach the door, they take up posts and Loki extends his hand, "Will my lady allow me to escort her in the door?"

She looks so long at his hand that he starts to lower it before she takes it, "But you must tell me everything, no matter how terrible."

She sees his calm facade flicker for such a brief moment she isn't sure what she sees under it. But she thinks it may be fear.