Chapter 7

It was close to the time for her tribe's festival when Sigyn invited Loki to join her. In the wild places they had wandered, the season changes were more apparent. The leaves turned to the colours of fire and the wild things they hunted began storing fat and food more earnestly for the winter. And when the skies turned grey and the creatures hibernated, they would celebrate together. It never had a fixed date, but in the city, they could not see the animals in their dens and the leaves did not so spectacularly change. So instead of abandon it, Sigyn called for the festival after the first flurries of snow. They set preparations in motion and she asked Loki to be her guest by way of a message sent with Iceni.

He arrived at the enclave with two guards. He insisted they stay on the outside of the buildings and they begrudgingly complied, just inside the blocked off streets. The old women already drummed around the fire and there were people moving slowly around the flames, dancing and talking while meat roasted on spits over it. Sigyn was not hard to find. She sat on a cushioned bench in layers of brightly coloured silk, turquoise, lavender, white, and a shock of orange. There were jewels, beads, and feathers woven into her hair; braids kept it back from her face and formed a slender crown over the bulk of her curls. A plaid shawl draped, folded, off the end of the bench, gold jewelery on her wrists, fingers, ankles, toes, and around her neck. He had never seen her as the resplendent Queen and so he stopped and stared a moment before approaching.

He stood at a respectful distance from her seat, waiting for her to finish her conversation; when she did, he stepped forward and bowed low, "My lady. Thank you for your generous invitation."

She stood, "Rise, Loki, son of Odin, and sit with me as my friend." She offered a hand. Before he fully straightened, he took it and kissed her fingers. Then he sat beside her.

"I apologize if my guards make anyone uncomfortable. I escaped with as few as possible, but the All-Father insisted I not travel alone to this part of the city. There have been some rather unpleasant occurrences on the road here this past month."

"If by 'unpleasant occurrences' you mean the rape of one of our girls and the murder of two of our children, yes. We prefer to call them atrocities."

He bowed his head, "I'm sorry. I've been taught to speak of things in guarded terms when in diplomatic situations."

She tilted her head, "You consider this a diplomatic situation?"

"I don't. But to convince my father it was wise for me to come, I told him I was acting as an ambassador from the family to send a gesture of support and goodwill after the crimes against your people. I was told my behaviour would be noted and reported."

She scoffed, "So he thinks so little of us that he considers it enough to send condolences."

"I don't know his heart, my lady. Only what he was willing to show when I asked. He and I have never been close." He paused, "But I will press Mother on the matter when I return. She knows this is no mere ambassadorial duty."

Sigyn's smile returned, "Bless her for trusting us." She stood; her firm hand on Loki's shoulder clearly told him to stay seated. "My friends!"

Men in elaborate fur on either side of her bench stepped forward, their hands raised; they clapped three times, hands above their heads, before shouting, "HUH!" in unison. The square fell silent.

Sigyn spoke, "It is our third change of this season in the city. We remember our home fires, carrying them in our hearts. This flame, which has burned since we arrived, was lit from the spark of our lanterns carried in from the fields. From the skill of our men come our harvest brought in off plots in this city. And from the skill of our women come the fruits of the hunt. Let us feast and dance in joy that we yet live and with the remembrance of all those lost who are dancing with us from afar."