Only Sally Knows chapter 34

I blindly bombarded into the small woman's restroom, no plan, no carefully thought out speech, I just acted on instinct. As soon as her cold eyes met mine, I felt like banging my head on the porcelain sink. Had I forgotten in my rush to get here, that I am little bit terrified of Tiffany? No, I'm not terrified...I’m pissed. She can't ruin my relationship with Carter. She can't ruin my life.

Tiffany, oblivious to my inner tumor continued to touch up her lip gloss. Not ignoring me, but certainly not wasting time on me. After gliding her lips smoothly across one another, she finally decided they were close to perfection, and that she could now speak to me. How her lips look are more important than a conversation with me...I’m that low to her.

She turned her body towards me, which I am assumed meant she was now going to talk to me. But I was wrong. She had actually turned to get a better look of her profile in the mirror, shooting a 'man eater' smile to the mirror. Really?

After inspecting every inch of her body in the mirror, she finally acknowledged me in the most warming way possible.

"Ick." She then made a noise in the back of her throat, which resembled one of a dieing chipmunk.

I smiled sweetly, swallowing any fears, any doubts, anything that will get in the way of having this conversations with her. " Hi Tiffany, it's nice to see you too." Why not start out nice? I'm sure she certainly won't want to talk about this...will she be angry?

I had to ask myself that question....would I be angry? If someone I hated came up to me, asking questions about an event I never wanted to remember? I couldn't come up with an answer. In the back of my mind my brain asked,

"What if you're wrong about all of this?" I pushed that thought away and gave Tiffany my undivided attention.

"Listen, as much as I would so love to stay here and verbally tear you down. Yeah. I'm not sugar coating it. I can't." She pointed at her chest, " See this uniform? It means I'm a cheerleader, which means I've got to go...cheer. I can't let Carter down like you did."

If I'm going to succeed in getting her to confess about what happened with Michael...I’ve got to stay calm. Brush any insults and lies she claims off my shoulders. I stood tall, and keep my ground,

"Listen, I have something important I need to talk about...you can't just walk away." I hadn't planned for her to not stay and listen...I'd only been worrying about getting to this point! This is why you always go into a situation without a plan! A good plan!

She gave an unattractive snort, " You really think you can tell me what to and what not to do? I know what you want to talk about." She said in a serious tone that made my breath hitch in my throat. She couldn't know...how would she know?

She continued on, " So what if I told Carter you were making-out with Max. I lied...blah ,blah, blah...it's wrong...blah, blah, blah. Is that what you wanted to tell me? Because if so, I'm not going to stand here and waste my hearing on you."

Waste my hearing on you? That's new. I was a bit frustrated that she thought I was talking about Carter. I'm here to talk about Michael! Why can't I just man up and say that already?...Maybe Max's threats were actually stating to gnaw at me.

I stood rigid for a moment as she briskly walked past me. What can I do to make her stay? What can I say that will make her stop, as if her feet are rooted to the white bathroom tiles? Once again, I asked myself that question...what would make me stop and listen?

"I know what happened with you and Michael."

Just as I predicted she instantly stopped, one hand on the silver door handle leading back to the football stadium. The room suddenly got eerie quiet as I waited for her next response. In that moment, I knew he had raped her. Had done something bad to her. If he hadn't she wouldn't have froze so immediately. Maybe we're more alike then it seems...