Chapter 18 - The Final Showdown Part 2

Comincia dall'inizio

Just as quickly, Aaron walked backwards, tugging on my collar. I stood up behind Him, grabbing Zayn, and headed towards a few water barrels for shelter. Aaron shielded us until we were completely out of view, then he followed. He was less than a foot away from me, when a loud crack whipped across the rooftop. I turned around, trying to see exactly what happened. Aaron stopped, staring at me, for what seemed like forever. He flashed his pearly whites, before his eyes rolled back and he collapsed forward in front of my feet.

Everything felt like slow motion as I yelled out his name. Aaron didn't move. He didn't respond. Zayn tried to hold me back, watching in horror as Aaron laid motionless on the ground. I pulled away from him, running over to Aaron's body. I had to get my friend out of my enemy's aim sight. Keeping my head low, I slowly dragged Aaron over to our hiding spot. Multiple shots ranged around me, but I didn't care. When I was close enough, Zayn helped me pull Aaron behind the barrels.

There was a huge hole in the back of Aaron's shirt, just below his shoulder. It was perfectly placed, not enough to kill him and not hitting any part of the bomb. Dark liquid flowed, leaving behind a blood trail that lead directly to us. I flipped him over. The wound was a through and through. Aaron was unconscious, but still alive. I ripped his sleeve off and used it to slightly cover the wound. I held it tight, trying to stop the bleeding. I knew I couldn't help Aaron and move us, at the same time.

"Zayn, I need your help," I said, looking over at him. He was cowering in the corner, resting his chin on his knees. "I need you to apply pressure over this hole, or he's gonna bleed out."

Zayn shook his head. He gazed into my pleading eyes, panic. He sighed, then crawled over to us. I took his hand and replaced mines with his. He leaned forward on his knees, holding the cloth in place while I tightened it around Aaron's arm. As soon as it was finished, I started slapping Aaron across his face.

"Hey, wake up buddy."

"Ow," Aaron moaned, slowly opening his eyes. "That definitely hurt more than anything."

"The bullet or the slap?"

"...The slap," he smiled, closing his eyes again.

"Hey, wake up. There is no time for napping." I snapped.

Aaron's breathing was hard and faint. He opened his heavy lids and cracked a smile. "So forceful."

"Yeah. Well, you're not dying today," I replied. "Stop being a baby."

He chuckled, "I guess you forgot about this little device on my chest, huh?"

We both glanced down at it. Zayn fell back, realizing he was kneeling next to a human bomb.

"I didn't forget," I sighed, pulling out a pair of pliers. "I just wanted you closer to me, so I can do this."

I ran the pliers passed the charge and the detonator, and cut the wire attaching the fuse to the timer.

"So, am I dead? Is this heaven? Are you my angel" Aaron inquired.

"Cute," I said, sarcastically.

"What did you do?"

I smiled, "I just disconnected the timer. So even if they turn on the clock, it won't start."

"But it can still blow," he fussed.

I rolled my eyes, as I unhooked the vest from him. I had to do it carefully, not to harm his injury arm. He chuckled, rolling out of the vest. I tossed it to the ground next to me as he tries to sit up.

"You want it to blow," he said, as a matter of fact. He stared at me and I just smiled back.

The helicopter was making its way back for the last time. At the same time, Theo's groans started to fade.