Chapter 22 - The Turning Point

Start from the beginning

I proceeded to explain what had been said minutes ago. Keane had been a regular man, until he killed the last warrior of the spirit world, he then inherited the job. But before that he had been just an average man who had a wife and son, but both had been taken by a secret order that wanted to wake up the Shadow Guardian. I didn't understand why they wanted to wake him, but then again why did crazy cults do anything? And that was all this order of the dragon was, a cult.

-"That's fucking insane." Nick ran his hand through his spiky, dark hair.

-"You're telling me ..."

-"Well that explains his weird obsession over you."

But instead of agreeing, I lowered my head and sighed.

-"What's wrong, shouldn't you be happy to know why he is following you around?"

-"Yeah, sure, I guess!" My voice climbed a couple octaves.

-"You don't sound like someone who's happy ..." Nick said curiously. I stood up and started to pace, unable to remain still anymore. "Ana ... why do I get the feeling you're somehow disappointed?" He kept looking at me with an amused look on his face which was starting to make me feel nervous. Nick was a very perceptive man.

-"I just ... I don't know! I mean my life is already screwed up! I am some mysterious empath, my whole family isn't my family, who the hell knows where I came from ... But at least I was me! But now am not even that, I'm just some carbon copy of Keane's dead wife."

-"That's not true. You're an awesome girl, Ana, and you are unique. You have to believe that."

-"You don't know that ... How can you?"

I wasn't sure why this disturbed me so much. Even though all that weird stuff had happened to me I could always say I was special, and I was still me. It was the one thing I was holding onto. But even that wasn't mine now. I wasn't special, and I wasn't one of a kind. I was just the ghost of someone who had lived long ago.

Nick stood in front of me, keeping me from pacing anymore. He grabbed my shoulders and held me still until I would look at him.

-"Ana, are you upset about that or because part of you is disappointed about Keane?"

-"What?" I gasped wryly at him.

-"Well ... I know that Keane was slightly obsessed over you because I thought he had feelings for you. I know it's what Zak thinks ... "Nick hesitated for a moment. "I didn't know if ... you know ... you might be upset because you are wondering if Keane is only after you because you look like his dead wife."

-"Don't be ridiculous!" I answered a bit too quickly. I laughed nervously. "It's not ... I don't ... You are just talking stupid!" I snapped.

But the truth was he had nailed it. Dead on. I couldn't say I had feelings for Keane. I just felt a certain pull to him and I didn't know if it was because he seemed to have all the answers I wanted or because I was attracted to him. I mean he was rather clever ... and handsome ... I scolded at myself for thinking that and quickly shut down those thoughts.

Nick was still holding me in place, gazing down at me with his piercing blue eyes.

-"I'm not judging you Ana. Hell, I'm married to the best woman ever, I love her with everything I have, but I can still find myself attracted to other women. I never act on it because after a second look I know none of them could compare to my wife. But I'm still just human. There is nothing wrong with you being flattered by Keane's attraction to you. Hell, girl, you don't even really know Zak and he hasn't exactly been mister suave with you. You don't owe him shit. You both got married in a drunken stupor." Nick chuckled. "But I've seen you both together, and you're both kind of cute."