The Open Door

Pearl's perspective
Amethyst gives me a smile when she walks back into the house.
Instead of going straight to her room to be on her own, she sits down next to me on the couch.

"Hey, Pearl." she says.

I return the smile.

"Hello Amethyst," I reply, and just for good measure, I ask, "how've you been?"

Amethyst bites her lip.
"That's what I wanted to talk to you about..." she starts. I look over at her, worry written all over my features.

"I've just been thinking some things over lately, and that's why I've been spending so much time alone," she continues, "I'm sorry for making you worry so much."

You're okay.

I feel as if a new door has opened up, that there's nothing more between us. No I'm fines with deeper meanings, no heavy sadness or words that should have been said a long time ago.
We're free.

"It's okay, Amethyst. There's no need to apologize. I'm just glad you're okay!" I put my arms around her for a few seconds before pulling away.
Amethyst looks happier than she has in days. It warms my heart to know that she's happy. Life just seems a little bit brighter when close friends are filled with joy.
Scratch that, a lot brighter.

"What's been up with you lately, P?" Amethyst asks.

"Oh, the usual. Organizing my various swords, household chores... you get the idea." I try to seem a tiny bit funny, even though humor isn't really my forte.
Amethyst laughs anyway. I haven't heard her laughter in a while, so now it's music to my ears.

The walls between us are down, and I couldn't be happier.