Chapter 3: World

I call for what feels like hours down the empty black pit, the boards are chipped and sharp around the hole. It leaves my throat raspy and sore, weakening my voice. Nina rests her hand on my shoulder.

"You can't hear him down there. You have to calm down, before you hurt yourself," Nina squeaks nervously.

"What if he is dead?" Ivy's mouth sounds muffled behind her hand, a look of shock etched in her facial expression.

"He can't be. No," I deny it, unable to wrap my head around not having my uncle. It's silent for a moment, each of us peering down the never ending hole. I sniffle and regained my balance. "I have to go down there. I have to get him out of there," I gulp with fear, denial rushing through my head.

"What? You can't be serious!" Arizona wraps her hand around my arm, holding me back.

"Yes, I have to. I have to go get him," I shake my head, warm tears stream down my puffy cheeks.

"No. No way! You have no idea how deep it is, you don't know what's down there!" Arizona shrieks at me with ferocity, her hand is still wrapped around my arm trembling with fear.

"This shit is crazy, I want to get the hell out of here," Chase shakes his head, his face is twisted and wrinkled.

"How will you get out?" Hazel croaks.

"I don't know, I will find a way," I shake my head once more, wiping the tears with the back of my hand.

"If you're going, then I'm going with you," Yvoni steps forward and sucks in a breath of air.

"Fine. I'm going first, shine the light down for me," I hand Yvoni my flashlight and wiggle my way out of Arizona's grip. She sighs with a whine. Yvoni gulps, straightening out her shoulders as she shines the light down the black emptiness. I sit on the edge of the floorboards, my feet dangle off the edge into the abyss. "If I don't get out, then call for help," I whimper before shoving myself off the edge.

"No!" Alaska gasps and lunges for me, her fingers barely brush against my shoulder before I fall.

The air around me whooshes through my clothes, my cheeks are pulled tight at the corners. I hold in my scream, my lips are pressed together. I'm falling, my limbs flail as I prepare for whatever is to come. The blackness of unknown seems to swallow me, the glow of the light disappears within seconds. My heart races in my chest, the thumping pounds in my ears. I prepare for impact, everything is dark.

I hit the ground softly, seeming to wake up from a dream. My eyelids flutter as sun shines into my eyes. I squint, rolling over in the soft grassy field. Carnival music hums in the air. "What the hell?" I mumble, my eyes focusing. I push myself to my feet, scanning my surroundings .

I'm in a field, only a few yards away from a busy carnival. People are scattered everywhere, each of them flawless. Their beauty is indescribable, like something from a dream. Their facial features are perfectly carved, each shape clearly defined. Their eyes sparkle and their smiles shine wide as laughter and conversation fills the air. Music hums, making me dizzy with confusion. I look in every direction, searching for a familiar face. I have no idea where I am, no recognition of anyone around.

I glance over at a mirror, shaking my head as I make eye contact with the stranger staring back at me. I can see myself, only everything is heightened. I am flawless, just as everyone else. I trace my hand over my defined cheekbones, smoothing my already neat shirt. I spin in a circle, unsure of what to make of myself. I can't  find anything wrong, I am a modified version of myself. It takes the breath right out of my lungs. I suck in a breath, calming myself as I remember what I am looking for. With all the overwhelming surroundings, I almost forgot about Cole and Mark.