Parts begin to move

"I thought you agreed not to work on that thing for awhile, Emma," Steve said the next morning, a frown in his voice. I took time out from selecting my lingerie to appreciate his form as he came out of the bathroom, fresh from the shower, to see Stumpy on the nightstand.

"It actually isn't what you think, Steve," I started to say.

"My eyes are up here, sweetheart," he said. "And I'm thinking you used your mojo to stick those bits together again."

My eyes traveled leisurely to his face and I smiled. "You'd think wrong, actually. I just showed them what I wanted them to to do and they did it." I stepped into some panties, put my arms through the bra straps, and walked over to have Steve fasten it. He did, and kissed the nape of my neck.

"Ok," he said in a voice that expressed that he was still in the dark. "I worry about you, Emma. I don't want you to burn out that wonderful brain."

"I don't have a trace of a headache," I said, reluctantly stepping away to put on my blouse. "I think I was getting headaches because I was trying to force it to do something. When I showed it an image of what it had looked like and kind of invited it to reform that way, I provided the will and it went along with it. It's so hard to explain. It does not have a brain or intelligence or any kind of sentience. What it has is...something else. I can't explain what it is without sounding like it has a personality or desire. Keep in mind that it doesn't have any of that, but the best I can explain is to say is that it wants to be what it was. I showed it a way, and we went several steps on that road. We stopped when it wanted to. I think that it might need some time to kind of rest along the way. I think it will let me know when it's ready for the next step." I stepped into a pair of black wool trousers and tucked the tails of the blouse inside the waistband. "And I'm willing to prove that I'm right. After breakfast, we can go to the clinic and they can hook me up again."

He smiled finally and brushed some of my hair back. "After breakfast," he agreed.

The tests showed that everything was functioning in line with my baseline and there was no apparent damage. I contained my smirk.

I almost went downstairs to consult with Loki before I remembered he'd flown the coop. I felt that I should keep Odin in the loop, and hauled Stumpy with me when I went to visit. As usual, the ravens arrived when I did and I showed all three of them my progress.

"It will take a few more sessions when it's ready to get the hammer back into its original shape," I reported, setting the hammer on the bed by Odin's legs so that the birds could get a good look. "But I'm positive it can be done. The problem is getting the magic. The enchantment renewed, I guess I should say."

"Caaaaaw," said one of the ravens. Encouragingly? I hoped so.

"Indeed," I said. "I wish I knew what you just said, though." I picked up Stumpy thoughtfully.

"ussssse... Odinforce" I heard, and I whipped my head around to see Odin's mouth relaxing. I bolted for the door and the doctor.

"Well, I'm sorry to have to say that whatever you heard doesn't seem to be an indication of the patient waking," Dr Staley said sympathetically after performing some tests as I waited in the hall. 

I went back to work, grumpy. A few hours later, though, I was struck by inspiration and went up to see Nick.

"I thought you weren't going to be able to put that thing together," he said, eyeing Stumpy from where it sat on his desk. He reached out, then hesitated and looked at me. I nodded, and he picked it up. "Huh," he said. "It's lighter than I expected."

I nodded. "The enchantment makes it heavier." I went on to explain what had happened when I saw Odin earlier. "So I was thinking. Do you know how to contact Dr Strange?"