Chapter 9

Connie wrapped herself up in her blue coat with a little help from Jacob before stepping outside into the cool breeze. It felt good. It had been too long since she had last felt the wind blowing against her face.

She looked up at the sky, a little apprehensive about leaving the house. Steph lived just around the corner and although she knew that they wouldn't come across her - due to the fact that she was in prison - she still didn't feel safe walking past her house.

"You ready?" Jacob asked, placing his hand on the small of her back after locking the front door.

She turned her head to him and nodded with a nervous smile.

He could tell that she seemed slightly anxious and if it were up to him she would be wrapped up warmly on the couch with him. But at the end of the day, it was Connie's decision and she had made it. If she felt she was ready to start going out again, then he would support her.

As they walked past the empty drive, Connie paused for a moment and looked at the spot her car once sat in. She still hadn't gotten round to buying a new one. Since the accident, she had been on a few trips to the hospital but she had never driven herself. She had only been a passenger.

As she stood there and let her mind take her back to that day, she wondered if she would ever be able to drive again. She had felt nervous getting into the back of Charlie's car although she hadn't said anything... But driving... driving was something else.

The last time she had been in the driver's seat she had almost taken her own life, as well as her daughter's. She didn't think she'd ever be able to trust herself again.

Suddenly, she had a vision of her car going over the cliff again and she squeezed her eyes shut and turned to face the floor.

"You're not ready," Jacob decided, placing his hands gently on her shoulders. "I'm taking you back inside-"
"No," she protested as he tried to guide her back towards the door. "No. I'm fine."
"Connie-" Jacob said, trying to reason with her. "You've been through a lot this last month but if you think you have something to prove by coming out here, then don't. You don't have to prove any-"
"I'm not trying to prove anything," she interrupted. "I- I'm ready," she paused. "I just need to take it slow."

Jacob nodded understandingly and looked down at her. She could hardly stand up straight, her arm was still in a sling and her eyes were dark and tired... She didn't look up to it to him.. But then again, she was a fighter. If she wanted to take it slow, then he would help her.

"Baby steps," he said.
She looked up at him and smiled, knowing that he would be there for her.

They set off again, but when they got to the end of the drive, instead of turning left like Jacob was about to, Connie decided she wanted to go the other way.

Jacob didn't question it; he knew that she would want to avoid Steph's house. As they began to walk down the road, he placed his arm lovingly around her back, letting his hand rest on her hip.

Before long they arrived at the park at the end of the road. It was only a small park filled with a pond, various foot paths and a children's climbing frame.

It was the place Connie used to take Grace every Friday after school. They'd walk around the pond, feeding the ducks before heading over to the climbing frame. Of course, Grace was too old for that now so before the crash they used to just go there for ice cream and a nice walk.

Going back there after the crash without Grace felt strange. Connie just stood there, looking around and remembering the talks they'd have whilst sitting on the benches, watching the ducks.