One Month Ago

Well that was horrible, I think to myself as I shuffle out of the police station on unsteady legs. I stop just outside the door as I'm blinded by light; it takes me a few minutes to process that I've been in the station all night and that it is, in fact, tomorrow now.

Shuddering as I remember what it was that brought me to the station in the first place,  I look around uncertainly, pulling my sweater tighter around my thin frame. Where do I go from here? Do I just go back to my normal life and pretend nothing happened? That I didn't see one of the most dangerous men in the biggest gang in the city kill someone not three feet from where I was standing?  That the only reason he didn't kill me too is a patrol car happened to roll up at exactly the right second? How do I move on from that? Recognizing that I was devolving into a full fledged panic attack, I tried to shuffle out of the way of the doors so I wouldn't get -smack!- too late.

A large, grandmotherly woman bustles up to me, moaning about the lack of manners these days as the kid who smacked me with the door takes off down the street without a backward glance. After clucking over me and making sure I'm not too badly hurt,  the woman drops the grandmother act and turns businesslike. "I can help you, Katie. I know you saw something dangerous, and if you go home right now it will be to gangsters waiting to shoot you through the head. If you want to live, come with me and I'll sort you out."

How cliche is that? Come with me if you want to live? I mean, god! But really, my life is just a giant cliche right now; wrong place and wrong time and all that, so why not?

"What's your name?" I blurt out. With enough grace not to mention how spazzy I'm acting, the woman smiles and says, "You can call me Esther."