I sighed heavily. It's never good when Pedro wants to talk to me as the queen. Last time he said that, we had to make arrangements to separate two guards from the same unit because they couldn't stop trying to kill each other. They had both been very hostile towards me because neither wanted to be the one to get moved to a new unit. "Being a queen sucks, Pedro."

He laughed, coming to stand behind me and brushing my hair out before he started braiding it mindlessly. I knew he was only doing it because he didn't want to have to look at me. "Yes, well, so does being the hand of the king." He joked. "If I'd known it was so much work, I would have chosen Frankie." He laughed lightly to himself. I know he's been having a hard time too. With Calvin gone, he is basically filling in as the king. "You've got to speak to the people, Rachel." I shot my eyes up to his, and he gave me a hard look. "Now, Rachel, I have delayed it as much as I can. I have been the one addressing them about the conflict and about you. Your written statements just aren't good enough anymore. You've got to show the people you are here and that you are ready to be their queen. Right now you're pretty much just an idea. They know you're here, but they haven't heard from you." He paused, softening his expression. "It's time."

I let my shoulders slump forward. "I know." I gave in. I'd been putting it off for way too long. I just don't really know what I'm supposed to do, much less say as the queen. "I just wish Calvin was here." I muttered.

"Me too." Pedro agreed, coming to lean on the vanity in front of me. "You're going to be exhausted, you know?" He pointed out as he looked at the bags under my eyes. I'd gotten my hours messed up again. Now I was on half vampire time, and half human time.

"I know." I said nodding.

"I'm getting exhausted too, keeping up with you."

"You don't have to keep the same hours as me." I pointed out.

He tilted his head. "Yeah, right." He laughed. "You'd like that, wouldn't you? Then I really would have to do all of the work while her highness sleeps her life away."

We smiled at each other and he reached over to tap me on the nose and I sighed. "I promise to get my hours turned back around." I told him.

"Thank you."

He started to walk away but I called to him. "Do you know where the girls are?" I asked, perking up a little.

He looked stressed all over again. "Rachel, you already know where they are." He said. "It's not healthy for you to be spending so much time up there with them. You need to start getting used to this life. I don't think Calvin would be very happy if he knew."

I stood up quickly, straightening my knee length lilac dress. "Well you aren't going to tell him, and neither am I." I said sternly. "Right?" I asked, putting my hands on my hips.

He mirrored my action. "No, I'm not." He said pointedly. "That doesn't make what I said any less true."

I walked over to him, putting my hand up on his shoulder. "I promise you, I will get back to normal." I said. "It's only fair that I have a chance to spend time out there while I can."

"Fine." Pedro snapped, obviously still ill with me.

I smiled lightly at him, and patted his shoulder once as I left him in my room. As I stepped out into the hallway, the six guards all bowed. As many times as I've seen people do it, it never stops being weird. "Need and escort, your highness?" Cromley asked and I nodded to him. Calvin had Cromley brought here from a civilization in Rome because he was well known as the best fighter. I don't know why anyone would even want to fight him, though. Despite the fact that he looks to be 7 feet tall and is solid muscle, he is a total sweetheart with a boyish face. Once we were alone on the elevator he cut his eyes to me. "You going back up top?"