Fifth Monarchists

Start from the beginning

For, have they not known how God by me declared the most remarkable things that befell these Kingdoms since the Wars began? How that 20 years ago, I declared the things which befell the late King, and that I suffered 3 years imprisonment for the same? How I declared to the Earl of Essex, 7 years before he was General, that he should be the people's General against the late King? Have they not known how that in the year 1646 I declared the downfall of the Presbyterians, and suffered two months imprisonment for that also? How I declared in the year 1651 that the King's son would come to England long before he came to Worcester, & his success likewise? How I declared to the late Parliament many times, that they should be destroyed long before their dissolution? And have I not declared to them in the last month of May, that King Charles will come in victoriously this year 1653 and had they not a sign to confirm it, according to their own choosing and desire? Which sign was, that if it did rain (more or less) 7 Sundays then next following successively, they would believe my words. And did it not rain accordingly for seven Sundays together, as many thousands who observed it can witness, although it was in the very drought of summer, and that there was scarce any rain all the other weekdays besides?

Also many other signs were given by me to several persons divers times in several places, to confirm the truth of those things, therefore to God be the glory of all. Neither was there any remarkable engagement of late days, either by sea, or land, since the people began to inquire of me; but God was pleased to reveal by me the event thereof. Surely, if these men were either faithful, or sensible, they might see the mind and will of God, by these things, but they are dead, Ephes. 2. 1. They will not see, Isa. 26. 11; Isa. 42. 18,19,20, But still say unto me, Job 21. 14, depart from us, for we desire not the knowledge of thy ways.

And now, as concerning you, ye murmuring people that meet every Monday in Black-Friars Church: ye fast, ye pray, & ye preach and complain, that God doth not hear your prayers, and ye cry to God that he would send the spirit of prophecy by someone, or other, to let you understand the things to come; & yet ye cannot see them now when God showeth you all these things, by me his poor messenger, which are made known unto you by those truths in my aforesaid books, called The Voice and the Echo: and as in the last of them, I said to the late Parliament about a month before they were dissolved, that their prayers were answered of God by those my books, and that if they did not believe what I said, and do the same speedily; that God would send them strong delusions, and bring sudden destruction upon them, Isa. 65. 12. 24; Isa. 66. 34. 2 Thess. 2. 10,11,12, so I say unto you now, that if ye will not be answered by the same things of God in my aforesaid books, God will likewise send you strong delusions, and bring sudden destruction upon you; for your contempt of his truth; in not believing it: ye cry against the late Parl. because they cheated the people of their moneys, and blame also these men now of Westminster (as you call them) for treading their steps, and not calling the other to an account for all the injustice they did: alas, do ye think that these, or the like men, will ever call them to an account? Nay we must think these will rather be more chargeable to the people than they were.

For do ye think, that such mean men raised to such high places, who not having means of their own, sufficiently to maintain their greatness; will not have it out from the people, over whom they have now the power and command? And will they not raise their children, friends, and relations to all places of profit? Truly it were a shame for them if they did it not: and I am confident that if ye were in their place ye would do no less, although the country should still suffer by it: yea, and it's like to suffer, until the King, nobles, and gentry of England enjoy their rights again: for they having great revenues of their own, by which they are able to bear such places of authority, and govern the people at their own proper charges: Therefore I say unto you if ye would have men in places of lawful authority, that are not self-ended and covetous, why do not ye bend the strength of your prayers for CHARLES your right King, and his party, that they may enjoy their rights again? And then ye may be sure, that he will call your late Parliament to an exact account for all those moneys ye speak off, and ease the people of their heavy taxations: and doubtless ye shall prevail with God in prayer for him, and have all your desires accomplished.