Blood in the Bathtub

When I was a baby, my mother tried to drown me in the bathtub.

I was merely one, a petite creature with bright blue eyes and soft blonde curls. My mother use to call me her beautiful diamond.

But that didn't last long.

She picked me, I was wrapped in a soft blanket. Smiling at me, her soft hands brushed my hair with the most delicate touch. I was too young to understand. But I understand now.

Without a sound, my mother turned on the faucet. I didn't think anything anything of it. Of course I didn't. If only I'd known.

Her Autumn hair was twisted into a bun. Her eyes, like mine, where sky blue. Aside from that, we looked nothing alike. I think that made her glad.

The bath filled and she turned off the faucet. She looked down at me with motherly eyes, kissed me, then tried to kill me.

I screamed and cried. I thrashed around as hard as I could, which was difficult with my tiny arms bounded in that thick prison. My mother gasped, like she was the one who'd be submerged underwater. Quickly, she yank me out of the water. I choked and wailed. My screams echoed around the bathroom.

"Sh.." She whispered, cradling me in her pale arms. "Sh... Hush... Hush baby."

She kissed my forehead, lingering a few seconds to smell me.

"Mm soap and flowers." She muttered, her voice was like that of a song bird.

Ever so carefully, she lay me down on the cold tiles. By this point I began bawling yet again. But she didn't care.

"Hush.." She whispered so softly I could barely hear her. It was like she was speaking to herself. "Hush little baby."

With tears in her ears, she slipped off her satin robe. It fell to the floor, exposing her bony body. Arms and legs, narrow twigs, about to snap. A face hollow and discoloured. Eyes once filled with happiness and joy, now empty.

With reddened cheeks, she turned to me and in her angelic voice, her hair flowing around her shoulders, she said.

"Hush little baby."