A Real, Genuine Smile

Chapter Two

Ross' POV

They got to the hospital as fast as they could. He was terrified. His one and only sister was slipping away, again.

When they got up to her room, Riker was sitting in the chair beside her bed. He had his head in his hands.

Rydel laid in the hospital bed, sleeping peacefully. Only she wasn't sleeping; she was in a coma, and she may never wake up.

"Riker" he whispered, putting his hand on his brother's shoulder.

Riker jumped up, alarmed at first that something might be wrong. After noticing that it was only his brothers, he finally began to relax.

"Hey guys" he said, running his hands through his hair.

"How is she?" Rocky asked. His hair was wet from the shower he had started before Riker called.

"Not good" he answered. "The doctor says that she fell into the coma because of all the injuries she suffered. If they are too much for her, she might never wake up."

Ross felt tears brewing in his eyes. They couldn't afford to think like that. Rydel was innocent in this all; she was just a girl that fell in love. Why should she suffer the consequences?

They all sat around her bed and watched her sleep. Someone had brushed out her beautiful blonde hair, removing the mats and dirt. Her cuts had been cleaned out and her nails trimmed.

Besides some minor details, she looked as perfect as always. But she wasn't perfect; she was dying.

"Has anyone told Ratliff?" Ross asked.

"No" Riker responded, not taking his eyes off of Rydel. "He's already going through enough. He doesn't need the added stress"

Riker stood up and walked to the other side of the room, stoping to look out he window.

"But he will want to say good bye Riker" Ross answered

"He won't need to say goodbye!" Riker yelled, "Cause she's not going anywhere! She's going to be fine"

Ryland, who had sat in silence since they arrived at the hospital finally broke down. He sobbed into his hands, his whole body shaking.

"I just want her back" he cried. "I want my big sister back"

It hurt Ross to see him that way. He hardly ever showed emotion, and here he was, breaking down in a hospital room.

"She'a gonna come back to us Ryland" Riker answered him.

With tear-filled eyes, Ryland looked up at Rydel. He reached out and took her hand in his.

"Rydel. You are the most amazing person I know, and we miss you so much. I need you to come back to us. I need my sister back. I need my hero. Please, please come back to us."

It happened so quick he thought he was seeing things. But he saw it, it was there. A single tear had escaped from his sister's eye, and slowly fell to the ground.

That's when he knew. She was there. She knew they were there. She could hear them. He sat back in his chair and smiled, for the first time in weeks, a real, genuine smile.