Part 86

Lets find a light inside our universe now. There ain't nobody keep on holding us down. Just come and get it, let them say what they say. Cause I'm about to put them all away...

The song played out as Connie turned it up speeding along the road. Singing along with a gentle smile she pictured the last time Grace was in the car with her, singing the same song on the way to the airport. For the first time since her daughter had returned to America the sun was out providing warmth to anyone outside.

The ED had been hectic all night but she was glad to be out. Jacob would be at home, probably still asleep but he would be there. Connie struggled day to day without Grace and it seemed she would never move past losing her daughter again. There were days that were easier but she was always on her mind somehow.

Connie sat waiting for the lights to turn green as she glanced out over the ravine. The trees blew gently in the wind as she let her head loll to one side, her elbow leaning against the open window. She pulled away once again, racing along the open road with no other cars in sight.

Jacob wandered around the silent house still finding surprise in how quiet it could really be around here. Connie would be home soon enough but he couldn't deny how much he missed having Grace about.

He stepped into the kitchen pulling out everything he would need to make some breakfast, knowing Connie wouldn't have eaten during her shift. He flicked the radio on before moving about to the beat of the song as he turned the oven on.

Jacob had opened up all the windows downstairs allowing a cool breeze to blow through the house. The weather was beautiful outside so he uncovered the table and chairs so they could sit out in the sun. He folded the cover up placing it beside the patio doors looking down the garden.

Returning inside he began to make breakfast before hearing the news over the radio. An accident on the A230 leading out of Holby has caused traffic to build up in all directions. A car seemed to have lost control coming off of the road. Casualties are unknown at the moment. Jacob had stood frozen where he was before looking up at the time. She should be back by now.

Connie continued driving along the road enjoying having nothing but the music from the radio fill her ears. She continued increasing her speed driving along the road, cautious of anything around her. She knew the road like the back of her hand after having driven it for so many years. As she rounded the corner a car pulled out causing her to slam on her breaks, slowing down enough to let them continue.

She let go of a breath resuming with the way she was going before turning off onto another road. Her phone continued to ring unbeknown to her in her bag. Again, she turned the radio up singing until she drove along her road. Jacob heard the car on the driveway and released a breath wiping away the thoughts he had before after hearing the news.

He smirked hearing the volume of her radio from the kitchen before everything went quiet. The sound of the front door closing followed by her heels across the laminate flooring was a sound he had come to love. "Mmm... Whatever this is smells good-" "Could say the same about you sweet cheeks." She smirked dropping her keys down onto the counter before rounding it to place a kiss on his cheek.

Connie wandered past him pulling the fridge open to get herself a drink. She began to drink it before Jacob finished what he was cutting placing it into the frying pan. He spun round to face Connie as she smiled over at him. "Can I get a proper good morning now?" His hands slipped around her waist as she leant her hands against his chest. "Hey beautiful-" His lips brushed over hers quickly before they parted. "Hey to you too muscles..."

She let his lips press against hers more firmly this time, her hands slipping up and behind his neck. She moaned softly against his lips before he separated from her. "Breakfast on the porch? Figured it was nice enough outside-" "I'll get changed into something more suitable then muscles." She squeezed his arm as she wandered past leaving him to finish cooking.

Once upstairs, she slipped her feet from her heels placing them inside the wardrobe. She removed her work attire from the night, discarding it to the wash bin. She considered just slipping her dressing gown over her underwear but knew neither of them would finish breakfast if she did. So she quickly slipped on one of her black lace night dresses pulling her hair down.

Returning downstairs Jacob was already carrying their food outside before he stopped in the doorway looking at Connie with a raised brow. "Comfortable for who exactly?" She smirked wandering past him before feeling his arms wrap about her waist. He quickly kissed her neck before Connie pulled his hands from her hips. "Breakfast, then this." Jacob smiled letting her go before heading outside.

They sat opposite one another enjoying the breakfast Jacob had made them. "This is actually really good-" "I'm glad you approve your royal highness." Connie rolled her eyes letting the words fall easily from her lips. "Grace would love it." She went quiet after saying it, letting her eyes linger on her food. Jacob sighed sadly before reaching out to take her hand. "Its not forever baby, she'll be home."

Connie smiled with a nod before moving from where she sat to straddle his lap. Jacob moved his hands to the small of her back as she let go of a breath. "I love you, thank you for being so understanding recently-" "I miss her too sweet cheeks." Connie nodded before he lifted a hand up to her cheek. "Book us those flights, to America... Lets go, get the time away from work and enjoy ourselves."

The smile grew on her face as she thought about seeing her daughter again, but about also having a holiday with Jacob. "Like our first holiday?" She pulled a face causing Jacob to laugh. "Yeah, I guess it is..." "Guess I better make it a good one then?" Jacob nodded as she neared his lips before pulling back with a smile. He gripped her waist causing her to laugh as he stood up from the table, with her legs around his waist and his hands holding onto her. They returned inside leaving everything until later.