Chapter Two: Zealous

Life is a period of a constant wait.

Those words were written on a sign over Milo's Brew. When the owner, Melanie, came back from her trip it was the first thing she had done before opening up the shop. Of course there is a story there— I mean there must be. Not once over the 3 years since her shops humble beginnings did she put up anything near the windows. I remember quite well somebody tapped a flyer for their music gig that they were having two streets down at the recreational center sometime during the summer. Just a few moments later she took them down and threw them in the trash. Got pretty upset if you ask me. I've never seen her that furious before.

The moment I read those words they sat at the pit of my belly with churning meaning, I was curious and I wanted to ask her the reason why for the sudden shift.

The ocean once again greets me with a sunrise like no other and it seems her atmosphere is quite clear and radiant. Melanie wasn't bitter; she just wasn't the one for the smiles. But that didn't keep her shop from making everyone smile. Milo's Brew was the best coffee and bagel place know before Starbucks and even though she lost some people along the way, she still held some valued customers.

Her answer was very cryptic honestly. I didn't get it. Or maybe I wasn't too keen for poetics and vague metaphors.

It sounded pretty bad in my head and that she was a little light on the story herself. The trip she took recently made her realize and think about certain things. She was just different; she was injected with this serene serenity.

"Yes, life is a period of a constant wait." She said, fixing her hair. Walking towards the window she closed the blinds. She rested her hands on my shoulder.

"Light the sign up." she told Isaac.

And so he did. To my surprise there was a hidden message below the words when it was lit up by the black light.

And we break the rules by being impatient

Rain fell silently and then it poured. It drenched me in no time, and I was too far from home to even think about walking. I made my way back into Milo's, shuddering as I sat. Melanie flickered her eyes over to me . I could see a small smile tug on her lips. She sighed, traveling to the kitchen, coming back with a towel. I thanked her, wrapping it around my cold wet frame. "How's everything with you?" she asked. I lied when I answered , something I always did.

"I'm fine." I had said. But, I wasn't. I was miserable. I was confused. I was searching for something that could never be found. Who was I kidding? What more could love do for me then destroy me?

"You still traumatized about what happened to your people?"

   I didn't want to answer. Instead, to change the subject I said. "I seen Paul the other day, how's he?"

She sighed, saying "Oh, he's fine. Staying outta trouble for now on. I think he's found something to hold on to." Something to hold on to.

I thought about Noah and are stupid argument. What he said was not forgivable, it was rude and it hurt.

I was right for lashing out , because at the time and even now he had no idea how I felt . Noah had no idea how it was to go through something like that. But,as far as whatever else was said and done that was uncalled for, that was just me getting even. I had wished he'd understand that. But who was I to judge? I knew he was right. I could never be the same, that wasn't just something I could live with or even begin to accept for the most part.