"Well then." I could hear the disappointment and the anger in Rick's voice as he spoke. "Since we can

not perform the ritual until Melanie has chosen a mate, we shall carry on with our run." Everyone stood and started peeling off clothes as they quickly walked into the woods. I jumped down from my rock just to have Rick step in front of me. "I thought you would have chosen by now." I shrugged. "You are going to choose soon. The pack won't wait forever." And with that, Rick ran into the woods, leaving a trail of clothes behind.

I stared at the bon fire before someone caught my eye. Dylan, the pack's beta, was still standing on the

other side of the bon fire. He smiled a little before he slowly walked into the woods. I sighed and took my time to follow everyone.

I watched as everyone's skin turned to fur with ease. There was a mixture of mostly grays and browns.

There were some wolves with a mixture of black fur with one or more colors. The twins have red fur, making them look more like giant foxes. My mother has white fur that is just slightly tinted brown with gray fur along the top of her head and her back, all the way to her tail.

Rick and Jared were the only fully black wolves. It's a trait that runs in their blood line all the way

back to the originals. Rick's fur was darker than his son's though, it was like you're looking into the pitch black of a completely darkened room. Jared's was almost as dark, but it had a little bit of a glow to it.

Jared looked over at me as he walked along the stream. He was waiting for me to turn; I didn't plan on

turning though. I nodded ahead and he snarled a little before running off. I sighed and continued to walk along the stream.

I was the only one in the pack to have pure white fur. Everyone calls me Ghost behind my back

because that is what the white wolf is known as, The Ghost Wolf. There hasn't been a Ghost Wolf for thousands of years, so you could imagine everyone's reaction when I turned for the first time on my tenth birthday.

Black wolves are almost as rare as a Ghost Wolf, but every hundred or so years, someone turns with the

black fur. It's even more rare that we have two black wolves in our pack, so everyone's a little worried that a black wolf won't turn up for quite some time.

Black wolves are usually known as The Shadow Wolf, but since we have two, Jared is known as The

Shadow Wolf's runt.

Melanie, where are you?

That was mother, sharing her thoughts with me, she's been worried about me since Rick started

pressuring me to take his son as my mate.

I'm fine mother, just enjoy your run please.

She didn't respond, so I was assuming she was doing as I said and was now enjoying her run. I sighed

and started walking on the random rocks that were in the stream. I haven't ran with my pack in almost two years; I just don't enjoy it anymore. I stopped enjoying it when everyone decided it'd be fun to play tag along with the future alpha, so I stopped running and let them follow Rick.

I looked up when I heard a branch on the ground snap. My eyes turned gold as my canine's grew out

and I snarled in the direction of the snap. The wolf bowed its head before opening its eyes and waiting for my okay to come closer. I calmed down and nodded.

Richey padded along the side of the stream as I continued to walk on the rocks and stones. Richey is

Rick's nephew. He's only ten and I'm the only one who doesn't give him shit. He has black fur mixed with gray, ruining his ancestor's trait.