c h a p t e r 7 ; exoskeleton vs grandma

🌸

Allison had called over the weekend and all but ordered for Gemma to return to Los Angeles, claiming the need for the girl to help her write a duet. So, we sent her on her way and won't be expecting her back for a long while.

It seems everyone's coping well, however. Adam has a mat and is now using Leo to work out. Chase and Bree are tossing a ball back and forth, I lay out on the couch on my laptop playing a game, Davenport's trying to do something for Singapore, and Tasha's on the phone with Grandma Rose.

"Yes, Mom. Leo, Val, and I love our new home," she said before a strange look crossed her face. "Oh, you should come and visit."

"467, 468—Put some muscle in it," Leo says as Adam bench presses him. "469..."

The ball lands in my lap. I picks it up and toss it behind me at Bree, who throws it back to Chase.

"Shh!" Davenport all but yells. "I'm picking up radio free Singapore." He sings in a foreign language for a moment, then says, "That's gonna be a hit. You mark my words."

"But not today," Tasha says. "Why?...Because Donald's not feeling well...Look, I gotta go. He just threw up in my purse. Love you, bye!"

"You know, we're gonna have to have your mother over eventually," her husband says as she hangs up.

"No, we don't," she replies. "Look, my mom doesn't just visit. She has inspections. If she spots anything weird, she will use it as an excuse for her to move in."

Right then Chase throws the ball at his parents and Bree has to use her speed to catch it before it hits them.

"Nothing weird here," she claims before throwing it back to him.

"Then she also thinks Val is my adopted daughter," Tasha says. "We're just lucky Gemma's in LA." 

Davenport puts his hands on Tasha's shoulders. "Honey, when your mother visits, I will shower her with love, I will make her feel welcome and I will do anything humanly possible to—"

The doorbell rings, stopping everything the house. Tasha gasps.

"It's my mother!" she cries. I look over at Eddy's screen to see Grandma Rose staring into the security camera and close my laptop, jumping to my feet.

"I'll be in the basement," Davenport says, taking off.

"Quick! Turn invisible!" Tasha shouts at the Lab Rats.

"They can't do that," I remark.

"Oh, come on, you have every other freaky ability. Just run and hide."

They nod and all go to hide behind the kitchen counter. I stand at Leo's side as the front door opens and she walks in.

"Oh, good," she says, closing it behind her. "It's unlocked."

"Mom!" Tasha greets as she goes to hug her. "You're here."

"Would've been here sooner if it hadn't been for your stupid gate."

"Oh, that's just Donald's titanium security fence."

"Well, if you ram it with your car hard enough, it pops right open."

My eyes widen. Davenport's gonna love that.

"Leo. There's my baby. Come and give me some sugar. Ooooh! Grandma's so glad to see you. Let me see your face. Let me see that face. Let me see your face. Let me see your face. You're so cute!" Then she turns to me. "Avalon."

"Grandma Rose," I say as she hugs me as well. "It's great to see you."

"It's great to see you too, honey. Grandma brought your favorite bran fruitcake."