"Just as  you tell Mama how much you love her before you go to bed." Gideon says, entering the garden, "You give people colors too."

"Can hugs make colors too, Papa?"

"They make some of the prettiest colors in the world, just like kisses."

"Then come here." Emmeline says forcefully, as only a five year old can. She gives her mother a tight hug and a sloppy kiss on the cheek before doing the same to Gideon. "Now you both have more colors in you to help other people."

~

"I am going to the Wilbourn Estate today. It seems that in my mad dash to Mooreland Park I accidentally took one of Sir Thomas' prized mares. I will be home before nightfall." Emmeline tells her father stoically. "There's lavender tea and bread on the side table for your luncheon should you chose to eat." She runs down to the shop and collects a few items before she leaves, catching a glimpse of herself in the looking glass. Her hair was in a simple braid down her back and she had on a simple muslin dress.

She saddled the horse and left, unaware of the other individual also on his way to Wilbourn.

~

"Good afternoon Megan. Is Lady Margaret in her chamber?"

"She is currently having tea in the parlor."

"Well I shall go to her. I owe her a tremendous apology for the way I acted Friday night." Emmeline goes down a hall and enters the parlor.

"Yes, London is quite nice in winter but Matilda needs space to roam." A steadfast blush reaches Emmeline's cheeks as she registers the voice of the visitor.

"Miss Somers, are we suppose to meet today? I thought our weekly meetings were on Wednesdays." Lady Margaret inquires. Emmeline remains near the door.

"No ma'am, I am here to return one of your horses and to apologize for leaving so abruptly that night."

"Why so is the Earl! Lord Daniel this is Miss Somers, she and her father run the apothecary shop in town."

"We've met before, how are you faring today Miss?"

"I am well, thank you m'lord. How is Matilda doing?"

"Quite well, she keeps asking when you will visit next, and I have been unable to give her an answer. What day will you be able to come down and tend to her?"

"You two know each other?" Lady Margaret interrupts.

"Yes ma'am, it is why I am here to apologize. I was called for by his page to care for his daughter. In the rush of things it seems I stole one of your horses."

"That is why I was unable to attend Lady Margaret. I was tending to my daughter. I am sorry I was unable to inform you sooner but I have been by her side for the past few days." The Earl explains.

"Of course Lord Daniel, might I inquire about the state of her condition?"

"She is stable, thanks to the work of this young woman. My doctor did not arrive until dawn and by then Matilda had been out of danger."

"Yes Miss Somers is a valuable asset to our community. " Lady Margaret says to the Earl. "Have the maids gather the rest of your belongings and I shall have one of the stablehands get your curricle prepared Emmeline. I am afraid I am busy today and will need you to come back Wednesday for our usual checkup."

"Of course ma'am," Emmeline curtsies before leaving the room. "Excuse me," She asks a passing maid, "do you know where I might collect my things? I left them here Friday night."

"Yes ma'am. Megan is fetching them now."

"Thank you, Theresa  correct?"

"Yes ma'am."

"Well if you see Megan tell her I am in the foyer."

"Of course miss." Emmeline goes to the front of the house and waits for her belongings, admiring the grandeur of the household.

"Here you are Miss. This was all we found in the room." Megan says, handing Emmeline a small parcel.

"Thank you Megan. I apologize for being an inconvenience today. I was unaware that Lady Margaret was hosting guests."

"It is no trouble Miss Emmeline, the Lady was startled by the Earl's arrival and trying desperately to make a good impression."

"Of course, Lady Margaret does not particularly enjoy surprises."

"That she does not, but I know she enjoys your companionship."

"Well I will be here on Wednesday for her checkup. Try the lavender tea I left a few weeks ago. It may calm her nerves a bit."

"I shall see if she drinks it."

"Have a good day Megan." Emmeline says before making her way to the door.

"Miss Emmeline!" A voice calls behind her as she descends the staircase. She freezes before turning around.

"Yes m'lord?" She asks as the Earl stops in front of her, "is everything all right?"

"Perfectly adequate, however you did not tell me when you could come look at Matilda. If she finds out I saw you and did not get an answer as to when you will visit I fear she may box my ears."

"I can come at your earliest convenience." Emmeline laughs. "I wouldn't want you to suffer on my poor communication."

"The fault would be entirely mine Miss Somers. Is tomorrow too soon?"

"Not at all my lord."

"Then I must return home so she may prepare."

"Whatever for my lord? I assure you that she is in no danger of relapsing."

"Ah but she has considered you the princess of the country so she must prepare for a proper visit."

"I am afraid your daughter's assessment of me is rather far fetched. I am but a country maid. No matter I will be at Mooreland Park tomorrow. Good day my lord. "

"We will be waiting with bated breath."