Queen Meissa

It's been a week since the night Soo-won and I agreed to marry each other. It wasn't a traditional engagement but I don't believe Soo-won and I are typically those who do things traditionally. The next morning it was announced to the kingdom that I was to be the next queen of Kouka and the reaction was overly positive. The people seemed to like Soo-won and me being his sister, and us both being the children of the great General Yu-hon went over pretty well with everyone.

But I couldn't help but be nervous as I was being dressed in my wedding gown. This was really happening. The one thing I was adamant about not doing was happening right now.

The ladies getting me ready sat me down and started tugging and pulling my hair up and poking at my face with makeup. I just wanted to see Soo-won, but it was supposedly bad luck.

"What if he doesn't like the way I look?" I ask nervously. The ladies all reassure me that he would because I was beautiful and all that stuff.

I couldn't believe I was about to become queen. My whole life I never expected to be because I was third in line. I didn't even believe Soo-won be king unless he married Yona, but here we are. We've come this far and it's funny how fate has brought us here.

"You're ready, princess." Someone tells me. I turn around and catch a glimpse of myself in the mirror. I looked beautiful, but I didn't feel beautiful.

"I want to talk to Soo-won."

"You can't you're majesty, he can't see you."

"Then get him to stand on the other side of the door! I don't like being apart from him!"

They bow and leave to go get him I suppose. I sat by myself in silence for several moments before I heard his voice on the other side of the door.

"Meissa?"

I crawl over to the door not necessarily caring if it dirtied my dress. "Soo-won." I say quietly. I wasn't exactly sure what to say to him but I felt better knowing he was there.

"What's the matter Meissa? Are you okay?" He asks.

"I'm fine, I just missed you."

He laughs a little. "We would have been able to actually see each other in an hour."

"Yeah." I say. "It feels weird that I'm about to be married."

"I never would have thought that you would just to be completely honest."

"I feel like I would have been forced to at some point, so I'm glad it's at least someone I love and trust."

"I pity whoever would have been the one to make you, because it wasn't going to be me. I know better than that."

I laugh, "I'm not that bad."

"Are you kidding me? You're amazing Meissa, you're so strong and you're great at everything. You could kill me with a punch, I'm sure." He says. "Sometimes I wish I was as great a warrior as you are."

"Well you're a great leader and you're the smartest person I know!"

"I guess we even each other out, huh?"

I smile at that. I knew that this was the right thing for us to do. "I'm glad you're the one I'm marrying Soo-won."

"As am I, are you ready to become queen?"

"Yes." And I was. I wasn't scared anymore. If Soo-won was by my side then I could do anything. He stands up and leaves to go to the throne room where I would meet him and the priest that would be giving me my crown. I was to be crowned queen first because it was only fitting for the king to marry a queen, or something like that. I wasn't really sure what the point was but I didn't care what had to happen.

The ladies who helped me get ready and two guards came to escort me to the throne room. The doors were opened and across the room was the priest and Soo-won, but Soo-won was all I was really worried about.

I began to descend down the aisle making sure to walk with my shoulders back and chin forward, looking as dignified as possible. When I reached the end of the aisle I began to ascend the steps and took Soo-won's hand when I got to the top and stood by his side. The priest turns to us.

"King Soo-won, is this the woman you have chosen as the next queen of Kouka Kingdom?" The priest asks.

"Yes."

The priest turns to me, "Please state your name."

"I am Princess Meissa of the Sky Clan."

He instructs me to step forward and I do so. "Princess Meissa, by accepting this crown do accept the responsibilities that you will inherit along with it?"

"I do."

"Please kneel." He asks. He picks up the crown and places it on my head. "Princess Meissa, with the consent of the five clans and the king, you are now the new reigning queen of the kingdom of Kouka! Please look upon your people!"

I stand and look over the crowd of people that were in the room. The five generals bow down to me and the room erupts with cheer. I take Soo-won's arm and he leads me out of the throne room to where the wedding would be held. I took a deep sigh as we got away from everyone. I was the queen.