The Wind Clan

When I awoke we were no longer traveling the forests. I was in a bed inside. I stretched my legs out then bolted upwards as I realized that I could move again. I looked around the room and saw Yona in another bed asleep, but Hak was not around. I reached for my sword but it was not there. I couldn't even remember if I had it with me when I escaped from the castle.

My heart sunk in my chest at that. It was all I had left of my father.

The door opened but I didn't bother to see who it was.

"I see the tranquilizer has worn off." It was Hak. "How are you feeling?"

"Did I have my sword with me when we escaped?" I ask.

"I have it somewhere no one can find it. Which reminds me, your name is Mei and you and I are engaged. You were a maid back at the castle."

"I don't recall agreeing to any engagement to you Son Hak." I say raising a questioning eyebrow.

"Is there any way you could change your hair?" He asks randomly.

"What for?"

"I'm trying to disguise the two of you. There's not much I could do to Yona's because of the color, but you on the other hand can." He explains.

"What do you want me to do?"

"Cut it, wear it up. Something preferably out of your face."

I look to the ground. "I can't get rid of my bangs if that's what you're implying."

"Actually that's what I'm telling you to do."

"No!" I say stomping my foot.

He points to the door. "Then go back to Soo-won. I won't have you endangering the Princess nor my people."

"You don't understand." I say.

"What don't I understand?"

I push my bangs out of my eyes. "I have cursed eyes."

"They're black." He says simply.

"Who do you know that has black eyes, Hak? When people see my eyes they become nervous and avoid me all together."

He just stares at me, but oddly enough he wasn't making eye contact. "It's either us or Soo-won. Make your choice."

I step closer to him until I'm inches away. "Look me in the eyes and say that."

He makes eye contact, but looks away. "Honestly, I like you better without the bangs. You are very pretty."

I take a step back and turn around to hide my face from him. "Don't say things like that!"

I could literally to hear him smirk behind me.

"I'll wear my hair different and cut my bangs shorter."

"And I will tell you whether it's enough. Now hurry and do so. You and I need to figure out what will happen from here on out."

(See picture)

Everyone had started gathering towards the river so I made my way there as well to see about the commotion. I found Hak and Yona and I made my way over to them. Then I saw what the fuss was about.

The river was dried up and Hak was trying to reassure the people. Then we heard a horse and Master Mun-deok rides up.

The three of us run towards him and Yona runs into his embrace. Hak and I stand off to the side.

The two of them talk to each other and finally let go. He turns to Hak and I and looks genuinely shocked to see me. He holds his arms out and I hug him as well.

"Meissa, I wasn't expecting to see you. Is everything alright, did you escape with them too?" He asks.

I nod. "I had to make sure Hak was safe."

"Well it seems you did a good job at that."

"As good as I could have."

"Brother!" Tea-yeon yells as he runs up. "Oh, Grandpa!"

"Heang-dea's back."

We walk back to the river to find Heang-dea being treated. It turns out that the fire clan had damned the river up and the next thing we knew, the people were talking about going to war.

"This is a warning." Mun-deok says to us. "They are wanting to enthrone his Highness Soo-won as king, but since I did not approve they are putting pressure on me."

"Princess," he continues. "It'll be alright. I won't approve. Acknowledging Soo-won as king would be admitting the possibility that Hak killed King Il."

I looked away. Soo-won would ascend the throne regardless, and Hak would be accused and become a wanted criminal.