Chapter 5: Tron Cat Always Gets His Way

Danielle

We were all down at the precinct. Travis had already been interrogated. We were waiting for Devon to be done. Tyler and I still needed to go in. I couldn't lie, I was nervous. I know I had nothing to do with Zoe disappearing but what if they made it seem as if I did? Then I go to jail. I'm too pretty for jail. My mom would be shattered if both of her kids end up in jail.

I looked across from me at Tyler. He looked to be in a whole different world. He was staring off into space. One minute he was agitated and the next he was calm again. It was like he was arguing with himself internally. It was strange. But I didn't dare to comment on it. I just sat in my chair waiting for my turn, trembling.

After another fifteen minutes, Devon finally came out of the interrogation room. He gave me a look suggesting he was glad it was over. I was still trembling wondering if I was next.

Cop: Ms. Conner.

He looked at me with an eyebrow raised. I looked over a Tyler who was still in his trance then followed the cop into the interrogation room. I sat down in what was obviously my seat. The two cops sat on the other side of the table. I felt like I was in a movie but this was no movie. It was real fucking life.

Cop 1: My name is Detective Bass this is my partner Detective Rands. We'll be questioning you about somethings. We know you and Zoe were best friends. We also know that you were one of the last people to see Zoe before she went missing.

I tried to swallow the lump in my throat. Were they gonna pin her disappearance on me? I couldn't kill Zoe. She was my best friend.

Rands: Look, sweetie. I can tell you're nervous but assuming you don't have anything to do with her disappearance or know of any details you should have nothing to worry about.

Little do they know I have everything to worry about.

Bass: Tell us about the day Zoe went missing. What happened from start to finish.

I thought of that day. I remember Zoe crying and being all hysterical about Mr. Farmer and her thinking Tyler had something to do with his death. But now they both do. And her talking about him being weird. She was basically trying to put Mr. Farmer's death on Tyler but Tyler said it was all her. But I feel like there's more to the story.

Danielle: I met up with Zoe at school in our usual spot, our lockers. She had been crying and acting hysterical.
Bass: About what?
Danielle: Mr. Farmer.
Rands: Mr. Farmer? The old man that was brutally murdered? Why was she hysterical?
Danielle: He lived across the street from her.
Bass: He was her neighbor? What was their relationship like?

I thought of Zoe's diary. How she said he raped her and she was pregnant. But if I told them that they would ask me how I knew. And Zoe, sure enough, didn't tell me to my face but it would make her the prime suspect of his murder. It could be the reason why she was hysterical and disappeared after word got out that his death was basically a first-degree murder charge.

This all suddenly made sense and her diary is proof but her diary also points to Tyler being involved. Him being the one that killed Mr. Farmer though it was supposedly Zoe's idea as he tells me. But with her suddenly disappearing and her diary placing Tyler at the scene with her at Mr. Farmer's it would look like he got rid of Zoe to shut her up. He was also the last person to see Zoe alive.

This was all too much for me. I don't think Zoe could just run off like that. But how she was acting the day of her disappearance she could have. And I don't think Tyler would have killed Zoe. He could have helped her hide somewhere.